Close up of a Blue Heron

Discussion in 'Birds' started by dbirdsong, May 12, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

A couple weeks ago I got a chance to get within 10' of this blue heron.
    Taken with a D70, Sigma 70-200 HMS EX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WOW!! Nice series!! :D :D :D :D

3. Nice set, Dave! I wish I could get that close. Thanks for sharing.

4. Excellent collection - he seemed very patient to pose for you! LOL

5. Hey, how about sending that bird out OUR way :?: :?: We are THRILLED to get withing 50 feet, and even then they are very skittish.

Really nice shots, did you have to do any "stealth maneuvers" to get thsi close?

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Well I have to admit I was surprised to get that close, but you see there is a small produce market in my home town called Colasanti's. They have a pond out front with lots of geese and ducks, next to it is a small fenced in pen with peacocks in it.
    This heron seems to like to hang out there for some reason and has gotten used to all the people (including small and very loud children) being around.
    I was on my way to breakfast one Sunday morning when I saw him on the Statue of Liberty they have in the middle of the pond. I pulled into the parking lot and grabbed my camera and set out to walk around to the front of the pond to get the best light. He finally flew off the statue of liberty and landed at the end of the pond. I took my time and walked over toward him and kept taking pictures. He poised for about 5 minutes before he flew off.
    From some friends tell me he can be seen very early in the morning everyday there. I just haven't had time to get back and take some more photos of him.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

Very nice shots. The GBH is just about my favorite bird. We had one at our local pond until a month of so ago that had become very habituated. We could get to within 20-25 feet without spooking him. I think that they are beautiful. I sure hope he comes back.

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks for the kind words...
    I have a 400mm Sigma lens sitting in the US Customs at JFK at the moment.. ( I bought it on Ebay from a guy in Switzerland) I sure wish they would release it.. That is a lot of my money sitting gathering dust there.. :(
    I would love to be able to use it to get even closer

9. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Dave,

Nice shots! I also like the GBH and have frequent photo opportunities on the pond behind my home, but I can never get that close. Best I've done is about 20 feet and then he flies to the other side of the pond. Of course, that also gives me a lot of flight shot opportunities!