Critique Close-up of a small glass container

My wife used to use this container to make her morning coffee until it recently cracked. It's about 2" tall, 2.5" in diameter at the top and about 2" in diameter at the bottom. (The bottom is not included in the scene). I set out to photograph the cracked area of the glass. When I realized that that subject was not attractive, I moved the cracked area out of the scene and made this photograph using a 90mm macro lens set to a 1:2 magnification ratio.

The depth of field is relatively small by design.

I don't know whether the blue and brown colors are the result of prismatic refraction, reflections of something in the room or both. If I had to make a bet, it would be that most if not all of those tones are a prismatic refraction created by the molded lip on the rim of the glass.

Setup
The background is black foam core though any color including white would have produced the same results. A medium continuous-light lamp behind the background facing away from the subject and camera lit a white wall. That wall reflected light around the background to outline the transparent glass in bright tones.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
IMO there is too much black space on the RHS Mike. I just wonder if the image would look better if cropped from the RHS for a square frame.

Thank you also to Binnur and Walter!

I just wonder if the image would look better if cropped from the RHS for a square frame.
That's a matter of taste; it would surely appear better for some and not for others. I can't imagine that your choice would look bad to anyone.

Is there camera shake? The area where I think it should be sharpest still doesn’t see sharp.
The camera was on a tripod, so there was no camera shake. The small area that is sharpest is where I want it but you might understandably prefer a different and/or larger area to be sharp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom