Closeup filters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, May 9, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Does anyone use Nikons 5T or 6T closeup filters on a 200mm lens and if so how do you like them?
    Any pictures taken with them would be appreciated also.
    Jarrell

2. Hi,

I have a 70-180 micro and also would be interested in hearing folks' opinions on the 5T and 6T lenses, especially now that spring has fully arrived in the Northeast.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Do your lense lose light gathering capability,

by adding a closeup lens filter? I also dramatically decreases your DOF, doesn't it?

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Hi Jarrell, I have the Nikon 6T and use it sometimes with my 80-200mm f/2.8 (using Kenko 77->62 converter) but I tend to use more often the Canon 500D. Sometimes i even use them ...both!!! :shock:

The 6T is a great clear glass and produces some amazing photos. I would say it's of the same quality as the 500D. :roll:

I'll shot some "fresh" photos using different combinations, and post them for you ;-)

7. I wish they made the T's in a larger size, but.......

If it helps any Jarrell, The T cul's were designed for the longer focal length lenses, so they should work fine. They work great on my 105mm, but the dof gets pretty thin when I'm working up close.

8. Give me a few days to get my back in order, and I'll do up some test shots for you with the 500D, with various aperatures on the 70-200. I think Todd from DPR was using the 5T, you might want to fire off an email to him.
    Cheers, Sandi

9. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    5T and 6T diopters

I use a 5T diopter with a reducing ring on my Nikon 80-200 2.8D and like the results--as good as my 105 Nikon Micro in my opinion. If you want to see results using this setup please check out the Macro/Flowers section under my name and form your own opinion. I don't claim to be a good photographer--just a snapshot person. Also, if you check ottercreek.smugmug.com and look at the dragonflies/damselflies and the botanicals folders you will see what the lens can do (for better or worse). A few of these were taken with the 200mm Macro Nikon but most were taken with the 5T diopter. I also have the 6T but I much prefer my macro lenses to the 6T--again, that is simply my preference.
    Any questions please ask. Hope this helps.
    My very best,
    Jerry S

10. Just fineshed the shooting Jarrell, gimme a coupla minutes and I'll poste'm... :cool:

11. Well, here it is... flame me but I'm just as surprised as you will be...
    https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?p=34434#34434

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. I have both the 5T and 6T. Use them on my 70-210AF. I haven't used them since I started shooting digital, but when I had my 8008 they used to come in mighty handy when backpacking. I don't have any shots I can show you, but I was pleased with the results..........keeping in mind they couldn't be as crisp as a macro lens.