Closeups with 24-70

One from last Spring. This f4 version is a very good lens for general purpose. I don't use my Z 35mm 1.8S much.
DSC_0563.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Nikon Z 6 with Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4 S plus Fotodiox Pro Automatic Macro Extension Tube 35mm for close up photos
Bee for web 20Jul2019.jpg

Green Lynx Spider for web 20Jul2019.jpg

Nikon Z 6 with Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4 S plus Fotodiox Pro Automatic Macro Extension Tube 35mm for close up photos
I’ve never used extension tubes. These look great and have really sparked my interest in finding out more. Where did you get this extension tube? Does autofocus on the 24-70 work when using it? How much light do you lose? Thank you for sharing these photos and the gear you used.

Last edited:
Well done, Jerry. I hadn't thought of trying extension tubes.
Me either, but it would be a way to add more functionality without adding another lens to a travel kit! I just might order one and give it a try. I wonder if it could be used along with the FTZ and the 70-300 f4.5-5.6.

I’ve never used extension tubes. These look great and have really sparked my interest in finding out more. Where did you get this extension tube? Does autofocus on the 24-70 work when using it? How much light do you lose? Thank you for sharing these photos and the gear you used.
Amazon AF works just fine Loose about one stop of light

Real Name
Harry
My first exposure to extension tubes was when I was in Southeast Asia in the late 60s. Bought my first SLR, an Asahi (Honeywell in the US) Pentax Spotmatic with 35mm f?, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f?, and three piece extension tube set for the grand sum of $126.00. Extension tubes could be used individually or in combination with each other, depending on the level of desired magnification. Very inexpensive and versatile way to get into macro photography. How times have changed.

My first exposure to extension tubes was when I was in Southeast Asia in the late 60s. Bought my first SLR, an Asahi (Honeywell in the US) Pentax Spotmatic with 35mm f?, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f?, and three piece extension tube set for the grand sum of $126.00. Extension tubes could be used individually or in combination with each other, depending on the level of desired magnification. Very inexpensive and versatile way to get into macro photography. How times have changed.
I'm going to give it a go. I bet $126.00 in the 1960s was a sacrifice.

Real Name
Harry
Full disclosure, as a young captain on flying status (Air Force), I managed to swing it without too much trouble. Served me well for many years.

I bought the Fotodiox Closeup extension tube. I played around with it tonight. These are handheld and could be better if I got out my tripod, although it doesn't go this low to the ground. I chose a lowly patch of clover in our lawn that I have been cussing because it didn't die when the lawn service sprayed our lawn. Thought I may as well make lemonade out of a lemon.

From the 24-70 f4s with no extension tube.
_DSC0706.jpg

With the extension tube.

_DSC0702.jpg
_DSC0699.jpg

Real Name
Andy
I bought the Fotodiox Closeup extension tube. I played around with it tonight. These are handheld and could be better if I got out my tripod, although it doesn't go this low to the ground. I chose a lowly patch of clover in our lawn that I have been cussing because it didn't die when the lawn service sprayed our lawn. Thought I may as well make lemonade out of a lemon.

From the 24-70 f4s with no extension tube.
View attachment 1645077

With the extension tube.

View attachment 1645078 View attachment 1645079
Looks like the experiment worked. EXIF data passed through the tube to the camera as well, which is a plus!

Ironweed at f/4

DSC_0221-XL.jpg

This shows several stages of the blossom, from early bud to remaining seed pod.

Latest threads

Top Bottom