Cloud Break

dsc_5143.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

January 2011, Maui, D700, 70-300VR.

What is unusual about this image is it was not taken from an aircraft. I was at the volcano on Maui at about 10,000 feet elevation (3000 M). There is another image posted around here, Mars on Maui, where this scene appears in the center of the image. The difference being this was shot @ 300mm and the other @ 20mm with a f/2.8 prime. For the entire trip, these were the only two lenses I used.

Direct link to the blog entry:

http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/maui-2011/

Yeah, I have posted a bunch from this set already, but I love getting visitors.

If you head back to Maui there are a lot of great places to see.

Go South to the old lava fields. Wailea is the Beverly Hills of Maui. Very nice and expensive hotels and shops. South of there is Makena and you can continue South to the end of the road. Cool scenery, like you are on Mars.

Then go to Up Country. It is alittle cooler, but there is a lavander farm, zip cord tour, Makawao (Cowboy country) and Kula (where the flower farms are). I went there and got to talking with a table full of older ladies who were making leis. Chatted with them for a while and they showed me how to make a simple lei.

There is the Maui Mall (Kahului) if you have to go to the islands largest mall. I went there at Christmas time to get family with santa photos. Also, the MAC (Maui Arts Center) is a great place to see Hawaiian music concerts and Hula shows.

Lahaina is a fun tourist spot. I usually only go there once a trip.

Haleakalā is a great morning sunrise spot, but it is very cold!

You can also take a boat to Lanai. Very neat place with an old town feel.

You could to the Road to Hana trip with many photo opportunities especially if you are willing to get alittle dirty and hike a bit.

As for food, thats a whole post by it's self. Just a few ideas from the top of my head.

Dean, we took a whale watching boat out of Lahaina. I enjoyed walking around there, even if it is a bit of a tourist trap.

Kingfisher, thank you. It was cool but not cold, but we were there around noon.

Thank you ramblingman.

Latest threads

Top Bottom