CMD-Tab - open window ?

Is there any way to get CMD-Tab to actually OPEN the switched application's window ? This is one issue with my Mac that drives me nuts. What purpose does switching to something you cannot see serve ?

I hate having a busy desktop, so I minimize windows when not in use, then out of habit from Windoze, I use cmd-tab to switch, swear profusely, then click on the app in the dock to open the window.

Please tell me there is a solution for this.

Thanks,

Craig,

CMD - Tab does show the window if you have hidden it rather than minimizing it. CMD - H is the keyboard shortcut for that. CMD - M is minimize. When you CMD - Tab, if you have previously hidden an applications window, It will show when you select the program from the "tab list".

After hitting CMD - Tab, keep holding CMD and you can use the ~ key (located right above tab) to scroll through the program icons from right to left (backwards) rather than normal left to right.

A few fun little shortcuts:
CMD - ~ : Changes windows of current program.
Option - Tab : Changes tabs in Firefox/Safari. Helpful little bit of info if you use lots of tabs... Like me :rolleyes:
Holding CMD while clicking a link : will open it up in a new tab. Saves from having lots of windows open. Even if you are opening a link in a separate program, holding CMD will open it up in a new tab, in your current web browser.
Holding SHIFT : while minimizing or maximizing a window will play a slow-mo shrink/grow animation.
CMD - W : Closes current window, but does not quit the program.
CMD - Q : Quits current program. This can also be used in the CMD - Tab window. Tab over to highlight the program you wish to close. Then, still holding CMD, press the Q key and the program will quit and almost instantly be removed from the list. Helpful for quitting lots of applications in one fluid action...

D

Deleted member 4116

Is there any way to get CMD-Tab to actually OPEN the switched application's window ? This is one issue with my Mac that drives me nuts. What purpose does switching to something you cannot see serve ?

I hate having a busy desktop, so I minimize windows when not in use, then out of habit from Windoze, I use cmd-tab to switch, swear profusely, then click on the app in the dock to open the window.

Thanks,

Your solution is to not minimize. That's a Window's habit you'll have to kick. Either learn to hide the app, or maximize your windows so when you do switch to a different application, it is open and ready to go.

For example, right now I have my email, browser, and iTunes open but I only see one at a time. Cmd + tab to the next window where I left off, do what I do, then go back to where I was.

you have to remember, Cmd + tab is an application switcher, not a window switcher.

I've started to use CMD-H to hide them. I have a large screen (27" iMac) so maximized windows is sometimes just too big.

So anyone know how to make a global font size adjustment on the Mac? All that screen real estate, and most of the writing in every application is too small for my old eyes.

D

Deleted member 4116

Go to Accessibility under System Preferences and see if the Zoom function works for you.

Thanks,

Just press f3 and select the window you need :). active (non hidden/minimized screens) are above the bar, non-active are below

Just press f3 and select the window you need :). active (non hidden/minimized screens) are above the bar, non-active are below

I use function keys as function keys, so I have to press fn-F3. No biggie, as I have a track-pad and can do the four finger pull. I have found hiding windows rather than closing them to work quite well. Only problem with that is that you cannot hide the last one and get a clean desktop. So, then the four finger push comes in handy.

At the end of the day, it's just a different interface. I'm slowly getting used to it, but it's made harder by sitting in front of a Windoze PC all day at work.

D

Deleted member 4116

Ugly. Just expands pixels. Apple does such a good job with presentation, you would think they would have this down pat.

I honestly think they do have it down pat, and I don't have great eye sight as it is. If you can't read it at that display resolution, change the resolution.

I started playing with a lower resolution (1920 x 1200). Not too bad for clarity, the text is a much better size and as a bonus it matches my NEC 26" display. I may stay at this for a while and see how it goes.

I have heard to always run these monitors at native resolution, so did not try this before.

Latest threads

Top Bottom