C'mon in and Enjoy the View

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by merlin, Oct 10, 2017.

1. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
  2. Excellent composition and I am enjoying the view.

• Like Like x 1
  3. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Thanks, Les -- much appreciated!

4. Well done, Merlin. Is that the Jemez range in the far distance?

• Like Like x 1
  5. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Front right is the Ortiz range, to the left of them is the San Pedro, with the Sandias in the rear. This is looking south-south-west. The Jemez are directly west, and not visible in this photograph.

Thanks for viewing and commenting, Jim!

6. Thanks for the info. How far is this spot from Los Alamos and Santa Fe?

7. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    The vantage point is located on a trail in the Eldorado Nature Preserve, very near where we live. The trailhead is about a half hour's drive SE from Santa Fe. The viewpoint is about 2 miles from the trailhead.

The mountain ranges are visible from the freeway, and as you probably know, the Sandias are a bit north and east of Albuquerque. The other two mountain ranges are NNE of there, and Hwy 14 goes south from I-25 through the Ortiz.

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Really an excellent image!

• Like Like x 1
  9. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Thanks very much, Karen!

10. So that must be just off 285 near Lamy.

11. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Lamy is at the southern end of the valley next to the mesa near the center of the photograph. 285 is actually visible from the lookout, way in the distance. Amtrak runs in that valley, and we often see the 2pm eastward train and shortly thereafter, the westward one.

But the trailhead is not off 285. It is on the road to Ojo de la Vaca, which is off the I-25 service road (Old Las Vegas Hwy) near Cañoncito.

12. Gotcha. Thanks again for explaining all of this.

P.S. I once crossed under the track just as the Amtrak train was passing, heading west. Lamy is, as I'm sure you know, where the Manhattan Project scientists disembarked.

• Like Like x 1
  13. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Yes. Do you know the Willa Cather novel, "Death Comes to the Archbishop," which is set in Lamy? The old church is still there, and is slowly being reconstructed by local folks. Unfortunately the Legal Tender, which was the local watering and gamboling hole for many, many decades, is no longer.

But the train still stops there, in both directions, and folks can grab a sandwich and beverage and stretch their legs before going on.

The village still looks like it must have a hundred years ago, and there are some excellent photo ops.

14. Superb image.

• Like Like x 1
  15. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Thanks very much, Louis!