CNX2 converting D600 NEF to JPG

I just got my D600 and am uploading the images to my iMac. I never had a problem with my D300 (or my D50), but now when I convert the NEF images from the D600 to JPG in CNX2 it is only giving me a VERY small jpg file. 2mb max from a 30mb NEF file. ????

With my D300, the NEF files were about 12-13mb and the jpg's were about 6-8mb in size. I would expect the D600 NEF files to convert to about a 12-15mb size.

I have the most updated version of CX2 and when I convert I make sure it says 100%.

What am I doing wrong? confused.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, exposure compensation is no long available to use. It is there, but it I'm not able to access it to change it for the files.

With exposure compensation not being available, I wonder if somehow you are seeing the embedded jpg files rather than NEFs?

I'm just trying to convert 1 NEF file to a JPG at a time right now. With my D50 and D300 I would edit the NEF file then click save as and choose to save it as a JPG. Doing those same exact steps now with the D600 NEF file, NX2 is now saving the jpg file at only about 20-30% even though I have it set to convert at 100%.

For the last few years I've been using version 2.3.0. Today I downloaded the latest version, but when I click on About Capture NX2 it says it is only version 2.4.0. From what I can find the latest version is 2.4.2, but nothing I do will let me get to that version.

.NEFs still have an embedded JPEG in the file. That's what you look at in the camera's monitor, and the thumbnail you see on your computer.
Ok. So what does that mean. Does it have something to do with I, for some reason, can only get to version 2.4.0 and not 2.4.2?

For the last few years I've been using version 2.3.0. Today I downloaded the latest version, but when I click on About Capture NX2 it says it is only version 2.4.0. From what I can find the latest version is 2.4.2, but nothing I do will let me get to that version.

Ok. So what does that mean. Does it have something to do with I, for some reason, can only get to version 2.4.0 and not 2.4.2?

Most camera-created images, regardless of format (.NEF, .JPG., .CR2, .TIF.....) use an embedded JPEG for viewing purposes. It's part of the file, just like EXIF data.

Perhaps what you're working with is that embedded JPEG. To find out, load an image into CNX2. Then click on Edit > Size/Resolution. Then you can see what the pixel dimensions are. The image's pixel dimensions will be displayed under File Size.

If it's one of the native NEF dimensions for your camera, then this isn't the problem. If it's really teeny, then you're working with that embedded JPEG.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Doing those same exact steps now with the D600 NEF file, NX2 is now saving the jpg file at only about 20-30% even though I have it set to convert at 100%.
I don't think this is anything to do with embedded JPGs.

It sounds like it is working correctly but you have not set the quality to 100. You drag the little triangle to the right, or you can type the number into the box on the right.

What makes you think you have asked for 100%?
What makes you think it is using 20-30%?

I don't think this is anything to do with embedded JPGs.

It sounds like it is working correctly but you have not set the quality to 100. You drag the little triangle to the right, or you can type the number into the box on the right.

What makes you think you have asked for 100%?
What makes you think it is using 20-30%?
I'm definitely choosing 100% quality. What makes me think its using 20-30% (or lower) is that the NEF file is 30MB and when I convert it to jpg it is only giving me a 1.7MB jpg file.

Most camera-created images, regardless of format (.NEF, .JPG., .CR2, .TIF.....) use an embedded JPEG for viewing purposes. It's part of the file, just like EXIF data.

Perhaps what you're working with is that embedded JPEG. To find out, load an image into CNX2. Then click on Edit > Size/Resolution. Then you can see what the pixel dimensions are. The image's pixel dimensions will be displayed under File Size.

If it's one of the native NEF dimensions for your camera, then this isn't the problem. If it's really teeny, then you're working with that embedded JPEG.
Ok, that makes sense and this could be the issue....

With an 11.1MB D300 NEF file these are the stats:
Output Size
width = 14.29
height = 9.49

File Size
width = 4288
height = 2848

With a 30MB D600 NEF file these are the stats:
Output Size
width = 5.44
height = 3.6

File Size
width = 1632
height = 1080

BTW---- I finally upgraded to 2.4.2.

If I'm working with the embedded jpg how do I change that?

Being new to the D600 I tried to duplicate your process to see if it is a common problem.

I opened D600 File from the Browser from a folder containing ONLY D600 NEF files and made a small edit.

Pressed "Save As" and chose JPEG.

Changed the Name by adding an Identifier.

Set 100% on the slider.

Resulting JPEG is 11.7Mb and is 6016x4016.

BTW I just noticed that I have not yet updated from 2.4.0 to 2.4.2.

DG

hmmm... thank you very much guys for helping out. Very much appreciated.

Here's what I can figure out so far. When I download the images from the SD card to my computer via Nikon Transfer I can't view the actual image in the file folder, however when I view the images on the actual SD card I can see the image. So now I'm guessing it has something to do with the transfer using Nikon Transfer.

I opened a nef file directly from the SD card into CNX2 and the same image gave me an 18MB jpg file.

So now I have to figure out why Nikon Transfer is transferring only the embedded jpg rather than the full nef. grrrrrrrr

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
hmmm... thank you very much guys for helping out. Very much appreciated.

Here's what I can figure out so far. When I download the images from the SD card to my computer via Nikon Transfer I can't view the actual image in the file folder, however when I view the images on the actual SD card I can see the image. So now I'm guessing it has something to do with the transfer using Nikon Transfer.

I opened a nef file directly from the SD card into CNX2 and the same image gave me an 18MB jpg file.

So now I have to figure out why Nikon Transfer is transferring only the embedded jpg rather than the full nef. grrrrrrrr
You need to uninstall the ancient version of Nikon Transfer that is on your computer. Nowadays Nikon Transfer 2 is integrated within CNX2 and ViewNX2.

This is an interesting problem - but really frustrating from your perspective I'm sure.

I'm no expert but I think both Richard and Ken make good points, which are both easily checked. It does sound to me, with your last post about Transfer not showing the image in the file folder, as if maybe you have an older version of Transfer that doesn't recognise the D600 NEFs and only imports the jpeg - though why it should label it as a NEF and if this is even the way it works, I don't know.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61#Anchor-1 shows ViexNX 2's current version being 2.7.5.

All that said, Richard's suggestion to check edit steps also makes sense to me and is worth checking too.

I can't see that it would help at all but I'm happy to open one of your files in the latest versions of View NX2 and Capture NX2 if you can upload one somewhere.

I hope you haven't deleted the files from your card yet. The old Nikon Transfer damages the downloaded files from the D600. I think Nikon was VERY irresponsible in not making it very clear that Nikon Transfer should be removed from our hard drives. I'm not sure how many other new camera models are affected.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom