Coastal Black n Whites

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by PixelPete, Jan 4, 2006.

1. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

There was a time where I didn't care for black and white photography but thru many of my own shooting mistakes I've come to love it.

These were shot along the Oregon Coast last summer.

[​IMG]

This one was actually taken in November.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments or suggestions always welcomed. All taken with 18-70mm.

2. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Pete

I like them all but for me number 1 is a stunner - that should be in a frame.

Beautiful.

Best wishes

Ray

3. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Agree with Ray all good, no 1 is exceptional!

4. Beautiful. Loved all three

5. Excellent work. B&W lends itself to certain types of phothography.

6. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Gordon,Chaz,Jeff and Ray...Thanks alot the first one is also my favorite.

7. Good stuff. Some of the best I've seen posted on the Cafe. Kudos.

8. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Hi Muril,thanks for the high praise.

9. Mr. Pete, Blk&White shots are great. I like No. 1 as my favorite.
    Pete

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

great photos there.. More people need to do more black and white stuff!

11. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Pete and Dave thanks you guys. I almost sent those to the trash bin but at the last second the black and white angel appeared.

12. Pete, it's all good stuff... but #1 is really picture perfect! :tongue: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Do you have a favorite technique for the B&W conversion, such as the channel mixer or the gradient map, or Russell Brown's complicated approach involving multiple layers of 100% desaturation + hue rotation?

13. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Number 1 is really awesome. Great work

14. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Hi Phillippe,I wish I could tell you I do a bunch of fancy layers and the all that sort of stuff but its not the case.
    I usually just use a layer of levels[Scott Kelby says levels for BnW's] and a level of brightness/contrast.Then I just turn the gas up on the contrast until Im happy with it after I get the lighting where I want it.
    I've tried it with curves instead of levels and can do pretty much the same thing so not sure it really matters.Im sure there are better ways but I dont have the time for complicated techniques.The normal demands of living seem to always get in the way.Thank You !

15. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Thank You Timur!

16. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Beautiful work

I like all three shots, Pete. Really nice work.

I started out as a B&W photographer by necessity: newspapers only ran black and white in the late 60's and early 70's. With digital I've been enamored of the color for so long, but recently put together a group of black and white shots from the past and present. So I'm sorta back into that B&W thing again.

17. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Pixelpete.

Nice set of images. I really like the third one !

Regard

RFC

18. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Thanks John, Im looking forward to seeing some of your work.You,ve been at it longer than I so this should be really good. I'll be looking for them.

19. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Robert..thanks a lot !