Coated In Ice

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Baywing, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I ran up to one of my favorite waterfalls just before the snow started. It's down a dirt road and the parking area (if you even want to call it that) is usually impassable in the winter. Having given up my 4x4's for a car with better mileage several years ago, I don't do as many remote locations in the winter as I used to. I've almost gotten stuck once, and with no cell phone service in the area, it's a longer walk back to civilization than I want to make. Anyway, not sure what I would find, the temps have been decently above normal, so I took a chance. It's always 10F colder "down in the hole" than up top, so when I got to the bottom, I wasn't surprized to see a layer of ice coating everything within reach of the mist from the falls. Wanting to preserve life and limb, the climb to a usual shooting spot was out, so I carefully made my way to a slightly different angle than I usually do:
    [​IMG]
    There was some wind, there always is down in the hole, so a few of the iced over branches were moving. I printed this to 11x14 and I am very happy with the D200, the print almost looks like it came from my Pentax 645.

2. That is a beautiful shot, great colors. I think I would have printed at least 13x19. All of these posts with the new D200 is making that camera hard to resist.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, RB.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful capture, Bay. Great orientation, color, detail and crop. Frame it and hang it!

5. Very Nice! I love the water when it's slowed down like that.