1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cockpit view

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by TXAvi8tor, Aug 9, 2009.

1. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    Here's a shot from yesterday with a new-to-me Tokina 12-24. Doug is preparing for his commercial check ride in sailplanes (gliders).
    _STRT6549CR8X-1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The instruments indicate that we were 4700 feet above sea level (about 4100 feet above the ground at our location), flying at 50 knots (about 58 mph) and climbing at 500 feet per minute. Our heading is NNW, looking toward the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

What most folks would find unusual is that we have no thrust. Once we release from a towplane, we're 'powered' by the sun....

2. Well you managed to post this so thankfully the sun stayed out!!! love the capture and the info, Thanks. Who is at the controls?

3. tboz

tboz

Aug 4, 2009
    mass
    Very nice shot!

4. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Fantastic perspective! Great shot!

5. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    Not me, I was working the camera. :biggrin: Doug was PIC through most of the flight. He owns a Light Sport Aircraft, recently obtained his PPL in sailplanes and has scheduled his Commercial flight test in September. His eventual goal is to obtain his CFI and join our instructor cadre. He'll be welcomed as he's a good stick, highly intelligent, communicative and displays consistent good judgment. The short version: he can fly and talk at the same time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.