1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

cocoon no more

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by fuss, Jul 23, 2007.

1. I went out this evening and was surprised to see that the cocoon was empty, I felt a little bummed out about that. But just 20 feet away was this guy fluttering around, I walked over with my 3 yr old daughter to get a closer look at him and he landed on the rocks right in front of us. He let me take several shots and then fluttered around a bit and then landed right on me and then Emily, it was really cool. I cant be positive this is what was in the cocoon but I am pretty sure it is. Now I must say he wont win any beauty contests, here he is..

881433482_4c348ec2b7_o.

2. I am quite certain that the chysalis you photographed is not the same one that this Red Admiral butterfly came from. Although it could be a Nymphalidae chrysalis it is more like one belonging to a White Admiral than a Red Admiral.

However, I am basing this on the European species and not the ones in the USA, but I cannot imagine that this part of the life-cycle is all that different in shape, and colouring.

If I get time I will do some more research for you. That imago,( final form), is also rather battered for a newly emerged butterfly.

BW. Bob F

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Oh this is beautiful

Be curious to see what Bob comes up with

4. Unfortunately even the best site I know of does not help me much, but I have been able to find out that Limenitis arthemis arthemis, the White Admiral does fly in Wisconsin. It is therefore a reasonable bet that this chrysalis is of this species.

http://www.wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterflies/species/191

Sorry that I can not be any more specific, but I hope this helps.

Bob F.

5. Yes it is definately a Red Admiral. See below.

I think it is a White Admiral. See below. http://www.wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterflies/species/191

Bob F.

6. duh, I didn't read your previous post carefully enough.
    Thx.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.