1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

cocoon

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by fuss, Jul 20, 2007.

1. I saw this thing attached to my kids backyard playset last week and thought it was a dead caterpillar and almost removed it. I am glad I didn't, the next day I saw it had bent its body a different direction. I have not seen this before, I always pictured a whole cocoon, not part of the caterpillar hanging and the other part developing in the open. Anyway, here are some pictures, and I can post more as it develops.

856067785_558025c46d_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 106917

View attachment 106918

View attachment 106919

View attachment 106920

Form doing a google search this might be a Gulf Fritillary, but maybe someone else knows for sure?

2. rlhaas

rlhaas

Jan 24, 2007
    Everett, WA
    Cool series. It is amazing to be able to see how the critter inside is developing. Keep them coming! Do you know what is going to emerge from the cocoon?

3. possibly this...

Hi, thx. I think it is one of these but am not certain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Fritillary

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super pics
    I have never seen this

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.