Critique Cod Liver Oil Bottle

A modern presentation that includes strong lines and a metal and wood tabletop to contrast the glass bottle. I even decided not to remove the cobwebs from the tabletop.

Setup
The tabletop is a barbecue grill's sidepiece turned upside down normally used for holding cooking accessories, condiments and plates. The background is translucent vellum. A medium continuous-light lamp was behind the background shining toward the subject and camera. That lighting outlined the translucent bottle in dark tones. A small continuous-light lamp flagged with matte black aluminum foil to prevent light from falling on the bottle was above the left front area of the scene to light that part of the tabletop.

Mike 2019-10-12--002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Beautifully captured scene, Mike!
Perfectly lit.
I rather like your choice of the tabletop. It provides a good counterbalance to the clean lines of the bottle.

Nice image Mike. You can make some other images with that beautiful bottle. I just wonder if your planks would make a good BG with this bottle?

Beautifully lit. This is one of those images that can be done a million different ways, different lighting, different base. Leave the rail, take it away. Change this, change that. A lifetime could be spent shooting this bottle. I like what you chose to do and convey. Would I have done it differently, probably- how I have no idea.
It would be interesting to take about 5 objects, put them in a box and send them around to about a dozen different photographers to make images that have to use all 5 objects- otherwise no rules. Each gets a week, then they have to forward the box on to the next person. At the end, they all post their images. That would be interesting.
Thanks for sharing and making me think
Gary

Thanks, Gary!

Probably not done with this bottle for the reasons you mentioned.

It would be interesting to take about 5 objects, put them in a box and send them around to about a dozen different photographers to make images that have to use all 5 objects- otherwise no rules. Each gets a week, then they have to forward the box on to the next person. At the end, they all post their images.
I'm game. If you want to get the conversation started in another thread, feel free.

I have absolutely no clue of product photography and certainly I would fail miserably. But still I would absolutely LOVE to see this game/competition, the results, and join the great fun and community experiance it would be. Or even jump in to take last place and reduce the pressure for others ;)

A modern presentation that includes strong lines and a metal and wood tabletop to contrast the glass bottle. I even decided not to remove the cobwebs from the tabletop.

Setup
The tabletop is a barbecue grill's sidepiece turned upside down normally used for holding cooking accessories, condiments and plates. The background is translucent vellum. A medium continuous-light lamp was behind the background shining toward the subject and camera. That lighting outlined the translucent bottle in dark tones. A small continuous-light lamp flagged with matte black aluminum foil to prevent light from falling on the bottle was above the left front area of the scene to light that part of the tabletop.

View attachment 1647996
And to the shot itself: I like it the way it is. Everybody coild do without the rail, but then... It'd be just that, without the rail.
Oh, and next time, leave alone the stinky fish thing and use whisky ;)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom