Coffee and Coffee Maker Recommendations - UPDATE!

Real Name
Ken St John
There was a time when I was more than a bit of a coffee snob -- even to the point of roasting my own beans. But what a mess!!

The Keurig machines and the wide variety of coffee pods are hard to beat in my opinion. You can try everything from Folgers or a generic brand to Starbucks and find the one that you like the best. But, there is a bit of an economic penalty as the pods are more expensive per cup than most ground coffee or beans.

Several years ago, I decided to give myself options and purchased a simple traditional coffee pot that also had the capability of Keurig pods. Mine is a lowly Hamilton Beach ...
CoffeeMaker.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not only brews up pods, but 10 cups of ground coffee with a timer that turns it on automatically in the morning ... so when I walk into the kitchen, my coffee is done. At around $80, it can't be beat!!

A few months ago, my on-base Commissary started carrying a "premium" coffee from Folgers called "1850 - Fire Roasted Coffee". Danged if it's not some of the best coffee I've ever had ... at a very modest cost!! For the Keurig side, I have some Tim Horton's decaf, as well as some Starbucks blends, that we use occasionally.

Cheers!!

Ken

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
So I see I have more reading to do. Thanks again for all of the recommendations. I will look into all of them except for Luwak coffee. I’ve been to Bali and saw that coffee being produced and made firsthand. Thanks, but no thanks! 🤢🤣

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Admitted coffee snob for pretty much the last 20 years.

Our arsenal include two burr grinders ( Capresso for normal drip brew and a Rancilio Rocky for espresso) reason for two is that the grind for espresso need to be much finer and more exact to get a 1.5oz pull in approx 25 seconds. For drip the Capresso seems to be fine as drip brew not as critical to the grind. You'll want a burr grinder instead of a blade grinder (much more even grind and you won't have the heat of a blade grinder which could alter the taste of the coffee.)

For brewing coffee we use a Technivron. We now have two as our original developed a leak after 10 years, sent it in and had it refurbished. It has now become our travel coffee maker which we take along with the Capresso grinder and freshly roasted coffee whenever vacation and travel by car. Both are now over10 years old and have no problems.

For after diner it's usually the Expresso machine that comes into play. Have an Italian single boiler semi auto machine with commercial brass boiler and brewhead, it has been customized with a PID (controller) to give the grounds a 2 sec pre-infusion, 2.5 sec wait and then a 25 sec shot at 218deg +/- 1 deg. I usually just have the espresso but my wife enjoys a latte so the steam wand makes short work of stretching the milk. The current machine is fine for those times we have couple over for diner but if I was often pulling shots for6 or more I would get a double boiler machine.

For coffee especially the espresso I will normally roast my own beans and usually it's not a blend but a single origin. Right now I'm down to about 10lbs of green beans from Africa and Indonesia which I roast in 1/3 lb batches . For the drip coffee maker have moved from roasting my own to buying varies blends from a local roaster. When I can't make it to our local roaster I have found some nice beans from Batdorf & Bronson at Whole Foods. In particular we like "Whirling Dervish" or "Dancing Goats". Nicely balanced with some sweet notes.

Have not tried a lot of the pod type coffee makers and those I did try was not really impressed. For just a single cup in the morning a "Clever Coffee Dripper or the "AreoPress" may be all you need along with a good burr grinder like the Capresso. Add some freshly roasted coffee and your good to go. If you want a few more cups add a nice drip coffee maker such as the Bonavita 5 cup.

You'll be surprised how much better a cup of freshly roasted and ground coffee tastes.

For additional info take a look at Sweet Maria's https://www.sweetmarias.com

Enjoy.
I’m a one cup, maybe twice a week coffee drinker right now, as I only purchase it on my way to work when I need a pick me up. Since the pandemic, I have been working remotely from home and, as a result, I haven’t had any coffee in about two weeks. I must admit that I have become fascinated with learning about the different flavors and tastes, and it is something that I would like to further explore. I think I’m gonna start off slow, and get something basic while I learn the ins and outs of coffee making. Your suggestions just may fit the bill until I become more knowledgeable about the coffee making and drinking process.

Jeepers, Lyndee! Look what you've unleashed! :D I'm almost embarrassed to say that our new Mr. Coffee makes drinkable stuff using either Peet's or Batdorf and Bronson beans from Seattle - Dancing Goats . . . who'da thunk it?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Kopi luwak is known as the most expensive coffee in the world. The price for a single cup of kopi luwak coffee runs $ 35 to $80 and a one pound bag of beans costs $100 to $600.
Run over to Bali and take a tour of a coffee plantation, and you can try luwak coffee for free.

There is, however, the cost of that plane ticket...😂

Lyndee, in keeping with your request for simple and easy, I'd second Ken's recommendation about that Hamilton Beach brewer. It's great because it can do single serving for yourself, and has the carafe for when you have friends over (but not right now!!! :) ) I actually have an older model of that brewer at home, and the newer version at my school, and I prefer my older model... the single serve side is so much faster than the new one for some reason. The benefit of the newer one is that it can take the K-cup type pods, while my older model can't. I still prefer my older model overall, thought.
As to coffee, I really love the Don Fransisco brand, found in in Costco and probably most grocery stores. Tons of flavored coffees, if you're into that. I tend to mix a flavored type with a regular non-flavored type. My preferred regular coffees are the Colombia Supremo and the Hawaiian Morning blends.
Speaking of flavors, you asked about any coffee that might taste sweet, but without creamer or sugar? I just finished a package of Michigan Cherry flavored coffee, I don't remember the brand. It had a sort of sweet, intriguing flavor to it.

I'm no coffee snob: if it's coffee, I'll drink it. Some of my favorite is actually good old Folgers medium roast. I'm probably weird, but I actually do not enjoy most Keurig coffee. I'm not sure why! French press coffee is very good, much better than regular brewed coffee, but the making of it is a little more complicated, so if you want to keep it simple, just get a good drip machine and call it a day.

I am late to the party but hope it's not too late. First background information - I am very much involved in coffee in my spare time and have some connection with specialty coffee industry, and I have visited coffee farms in Central America and Africa and have taken courses in coffee plantation, processing and roasting. I have investment in coffee farms and I sometime roast my own coffee.

For coffee machine, if you are looking for drip coffee machine, consider one of these:
https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

For fully automatic espresso machine, Jura's machines are very good.

Coffee beans - There are many very good roasters in USA but for a start, I would recommend big names like Intelligentsia and Counter Culture which offer a large selection with very reasonable quality.

For coffee machine, if you are looking for drip coffee machine, consider one of these:
https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer
Thanks for posting that, Phil. I plan to look into those for our next coffeemaker purchase. Unfortunately those all appear to be 8-12 cup brewers. We use a 5-cup machine because that is the maximum amount we ever use: a full 5-cup pot at breakfast and just 3 cups after dinner.

Thanks for posting that, Phil. I plan to look into those for our next coffeemaker purchase. Unfortunately those all appear to be 8-12 cup brewers. We use a 5-cup machine because that is the maximum amount we ever use: a full 5-cup pot at breakfast and just 3 cups after dinner.
Jim... We have a 10 cup drip brewer, not sure what kind of cups they are using as a measure. We use a standard coffee mug and only get 4 1/2 cups out of a pot. I think you would be fine unless with a 8-10 cup brewer.

Jim... We have a 10 cup drip brewer, not sure what kind of cups they are using as a measure. We use a standard coffee mug and only get 4 1/2 cups out of a pot. I think you would be fine unless with a 8-10 cup brewer.
I never fill a mug more than half full.

Does anyone here have a Technivorm Moccamaster? Looks like the Leica of coffeemakers.

I never fill a mug more than half full.

Does anyone here have a Technivorm Moccamaster? Looks like the Leica of coffeemakers.
Have 2..bought the 1st one almost 20 years ago and worked great for approx 10 years then developed a leak. Bought a 2nd and sent the 1st back to be refurbished. The refurbished machine is what we take when we travel to St Augustine or St Simons if were staying at least a week. I have not had any issue with either of ours in the last 10 years. Our original was the KBT and the second was the KBGT. liked the KBT as you could close of the filter basket fo a little to get a longer infusion, just had to make sure not to overflow the basket. KBGT does not have that feature, as soon as you place the carafe under the filter basket it opens up to allow flow. Both have a pressure sensor that as you push the carafe toward the machine a little button at the base gets pushed in that activates the brewing.

The Carafe keeps the coffee hot for several hours without being on a burner. Will usually fill with hot water, to prewarm the carafe, as we grind the beans, will also run hot water through the filter. Just seems to make for a better cup.

Last edited:
Have 2..bought the 1st one almost 20 years ago and worked great for approx 10 years then developed a leak. Bought a 2nd and sent the 1st back to be refurbished. The refurbished machine is what we take when we travel to St Augustine or St Simons if were staying at least a week. I have not had any issue with either of ours in the last 10 years. Our original was the KBT and the second was the KBGT. liked the KBT as you could close of the filter basket fo a little to get a longer infusion, just had to make sure not to overflow the basket. KBGT does not have that feature, as soon as you place the carafe under the filter basket it opens up to allow flow. Both have a pressure sensor that as you push the carafe toward the machine a little button at the base gets pushed in that activates the brewing.

The Carafe keeps the coffee hot for several hours without being on a burner. Will usually fill with hot water, to prewarm the carafe, as we grind the beans, will also run hot water through the filter. Just seems to make for a better cup.
Thanks, John. That is the kind of feedback I was seeking.

Will they make three cups efficiently?

Thanks, John. That is the kind of feedback I was seeking.

Will they make three cups efficiently?
Not quite sure your meaning on efficiently...however there have been many times when my wife was away or left for work early when I'll only make half a pot, in my case two mugs worth. Just fill it to around the 5 cup mark and then use 3 (2tbls scoops) of whole beans. Have not tried to make a smaller quantity.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom