Coffee and Coffee Maker Recommendations - UPDATE!

Not quite sure your meaning on efficiently...however there have been many times when my wife was away or left for work early when I'll only make half a pot, in my case two mugs worth. Just fill it to around the 5 cup mark and then use 3 (2tbls scoops) of whole beans. Have not tried to make a smaller quantity.
Thanks. The Bonavita 5-cup you mentioned in your first post looks like a much more affordable and suitable option for us. Do you have any experience with that?

Actually, my wife is perfectly happy with the Black & Decker 5-cup she bought at Target a few years ago for $14.99 (on sale). But she uses so much sugar and milk (or cream) she can't really taste any subtleties in the coffee.

I am going to have to try this based on the title alone! :ROFLMAO:
Dancing Goats is pretty good but prefer their Whirling Dervish, little more balanced and smoother body with touch of sweet. Dancing Goats was a little brighter and felt that as it cooled in the cup became a little more acidic, but still good.

Last edited:
Thanks. The Bonavita 5-cup you mentioned in your first post looks like a much more affordable and suitable option for us. Do you have any experience with that?

Actually, my wife is perfectly happy with the Black & Decker 5-cup she bought at Target a few years ago for $14.99 (on sale). But she uses so much sugar and milk (or cream) she can't really taste any subtleties in the coffee.
Have not tried the Bonavita, but it was one approved by the Specialty Coffee Association of America. Like the Technivorm the water from the shower head that saturates the grounds comes out at 200 deg which is the perfect temp for brewing.

Take a look at the Sweet Marias website.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Am I right in thinking that Luwak coffee is the one that passes through the digestive system of a Civet Cat?
You would be correct.

When I visited Bali, I went to a coffee plantation. There were several civet cats there, and the tour guide thoroughly explained the luwak coffee making process. I saw the errr...production...:confused:, and how everything was done prior to the roasting of the beans. The final product, after being ground, looked like powdered chocolate:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Have not tried the Bonavita, but it was one approved by the Specialty Coffee Association of America. Like the Technivorm the water from the shower head that saturates the grounds comes out at 200 deg which is the perfect temp for brewing.

My experience with thermal carafes is that they don't keep the coffee hot enough. I'm sure preheating them with boiling water helps, but that's a fussy extra step.

One of the reason's I never bought an automatic drip machine is the high temperatures they use for brewing. I experimented with temperatures when I used a drip and found I preferred 180-185, unless I was brewing very dark roast. If the temp got to 190, I threw out the water and started over, since I found the coffee almost undrinkable by comparison. I believe those who want the higher temperature must really prefer very dark roasts.

You would be correct.

When I visited Bali, I went to a coffee plantation. There were several civet cats there, and the tour guide thoroughly explained the luwak coffee making process. I saw the errr...production...:confused:, and how everything was done prior to the roasting of the beans. The final product, after being ground, looked like powdered chocolate:

View attachment 1658285
LyndeeLoo I’ve only seen it on a TV program, where I presume some of the production details were censored. :joyful:

My experience with thermal carafes is that they don't keep the coffee hot enough. I'm sure preheating them with boiling water helps, but that's a fussy extra step.
We just use hot water from the tap...keeps it warm enough. I just poured out the half cup remaining in the carafe at 11:45 and it was still steaming from the coffee that was brewed this morning at 8. We do keep the lid / stopper screwed down between cups.

One of the reason's I never bought an automatic drip machine is the high temperatures they use for brewing. I experimented with temperatures when I used a drip and found I preferred 180-185, unless I was brewing very dark roast. If the temp got to 190, I threw out the water and started over, since I found the coffee almost undrinkable by comparison. I believe those who want the higher temperature must really prefer very dark roasts.
Not my experience at all most of the coffee that we drink, whether store bought or roasted at home is City to Full City. Very Seldom do we get anything really dark like a Vienna or French roast, and when I do roast seldom do I go all the way to 2nd crack. The main reason is that with dark roast (beans start to look oily) your tasting more of the roast itself and it's caramelization, that hides the true flavor of the beans. For Espresso my machine is set through its PID to 218 +/- 1 deg at the boiler which translates to about 200 - 203 at extraction and the Technivorm brews at 200.

Yes, 180-185 is about right for most of the time. I only go for higher temperature if the beans are really old, like over 2 months.

There are a lot of variables in brewing, grind size, dosing, water temperature, water volume, flow rate etc. It's fun to experiment, but can also be very frustrating. Some people like to measure the tds, which gives us an idea of the amount of extortion but not necessarily correlates to good taste.

I'm sure there was a thread on coffee, but blast if I can find it. Sooo...I'm starting another one.

I have recently gotten into the habit of drinking a coffee in the mornings, especially when I've stayed up late the night before. In those cases, I will typically run to the nearest McDonalds / QuikTrip / Starbucks on my way to work to purchase a medium 'whatever they have' - black, no sugar. Trust me when I tell you that the taste varies from the "meh, I can get through it", to the "what the #$*(&#! did they put in this stuff?" and frankly I don't know if what I'm drinking is "good coffee" or not.

What I am looking for are two things. First, a recommendation on coffee brands and roasts (is that the word I'm looking for?). What I would like, I think, is something that's mellow but rich, flavorful, consistent in taste and something that's not strong and bitter. And is there such a thing as a coffee that has a touch of sweet to it?

The second thing I'm looking for is a recommendation on inexpensive coffee makers, something that a non-techie novice like me can use. Keep in mind that I've never made a cup of coffee in my life, so I'll need something simple that a not-quite awake person can operate at 4:30 in the morning. :confused:

Thanks in advance, everyone, and by the way, what's a burr press??
Lyndee - Welcome to the coffee drinking culture. While I'm not an aficionado by any means, I do like my coffee in the morning. I like the 8 o'clock beans, medium to dark. I grind the beans with a Capresso conical burr grinder. Conical burr just refers to the circular burr that sits in the mechanism which grinds the beans into the particles that you subsequently brew. Real connoisseurs would be horrified, but I typically grind enough coffee for 2-3 weeks use. I use a Bonavita coffee maker to brew my morning coffee and I like that brand of coffee maker a lot. The downside is that you have to dump the grounds before you can drink your coffee. I hope that his input is helpful.

Real Name
Philip Armitage
I thought some of our Dutch members might have posted about this, but they haven't. Our favourite home coffee is made in a Senseo machine. Basically a drip method and we buy bags of coffee sachets. Once the coffee has been made we can recycle the coffee and bags in our compost. There is also a decaffinated version which we like in the evening, tastes almost as good and doesn't keep you awake

And the last two photos - not Kopi Luwak, but maybe a close 2nd. Still unopened, awaiting the right occasion

Kopi Luwak is a monster created by marketing. No real coffee lover will touch it, let alone drinking it.
I wouldn't say that. i consider myself someone who appreciates a good coffee & i tried some without knowing what it was.
my unbiased opinion was that it was great, a real flavour surprise.
It wasn't until i googled the brand i had been given (was trying to get more) when i found out what it was.

Maybe if the idea of Civet poop doesn't appeal you could always try an "enzyme treated" blend (y)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom