Coffee and Coffee Maker Recommendations - UPDATE!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Folks, I knew we had some real coffee drinkers here, but I honestly did not know the extent. From all of your posts, I now realize that coffee is an art form, of sorts, and I am truly fascinated. I cannot wait to start experimenting with different brands to determine what types I like and don't like. Thank you so much!

I'm still researching coffee makers, and will make a decision very soon. I'll let you all know what I've decided on and of course I will post that first cup that I will have made on my own.

In the meantime, keep posting - I am really loving this thread! :)

Actually, Lyndee, you should buy 1 of each style of coffee maker, grinder, and a variety of coffees from around the world and test 'em all and report back. Think of them as you would a pair of shoes—essential and a part of your persona.

Lyndee, we are waiting with bated breath to learn your choice

A simple Melitta filter cone and filters is a very inexpensive way to get excellent coffee.

I came across this little tidbit today:

Melitta's Contribution
Melitta Bentz was 35 in 1908 and frustrated with grounds in her coffee. It was a common complaint but one the rest of the world seemed willing to tolerate. Percolators of the day over-brewed coffee at the expense of its taste, imparting an annoying bitter flavor. Linen rags would retain the grounds but were messy and required frequent cleaning. Surely, something else could provide an appealing compromise, she thought, and be quicker, easier and cleaner.

She experimented with several materials. She wasn’t satisfied with any of them until she grabbed some blotting paper from her son’s school book, punctured it multiple times with a nail, put it in a brass pot she filled with coffee grounds, then poured hot water over it. Bingo! No bitterness, no grounds! It was an instant hit with her friends, switching on the proverbial light in Melitta’s entrepreneurial brain.

Melitta was granted a patent for her filter in July 1908 and within months, her company was up and running with its initial four employees: Melitta herself plus her husband Hugo and sons Willy and Horst. Producing filters at first within their home, they sold more than a thousand of them at the Leipzig Fair in 1909. Demand for the simple, newfangled invention exploded thereafter. In 1936, Melitta improvised her original design and turned her filter into the now-famous cone shape with which we are all familiar.

Ok, the coffee situation was getting dire.... So i hitched up the beagle and headed to Costco. They open for old farts at 8AM giving us a head start on the young-ins...

The had lots of TP but i didn't need TP so off the the coffee isle. Lots of coffee beans, but no ground.. and you can't use their grinder due to the virus..... So no problem i'll go over to the kitchen appliance isle and buy a coffee grinder, ( mine ended up in the lab, and i don't want it back...) NO Grinders... Coffee Beans but no ground. I feel like i am in the twilight zone...

But then i remembered that some fine person stated that Keurig pod makers came with a basket so one does not need to feel guilty about the pods. So I bought a Keurig and a hundred pods.... Ok i can survive the apocalypse....

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"Coffee is not a matter of life and death.... It is more important than that." - Georgie Beagle

I shoulda gone early, with the old farts, since I'm an old fart also.
It took me a HOUR to get into the door, from 1030 to 1130.
I thought since I wasn't going for TP, I could go later. That was a mistake.

Strange world...Went to Publix today plenty of TP but no paper towels. Meat counter full except no Brats or hamburger. Plenty of OJ, Grapefruit Juice and Milk as well as fresh produce. Tape allover the floor to indicate one way aisles and distance at check out. Was able to find pretty much everything I needed except the brats so it was hot dogs instead.
Thought may have issue getting in as local Kroger has started to limit # people in store at one time. Not an issue as the store really wasn't that busy walked in and out within 15 minutes.

Ok, the coffee situation was getting dire.... So i hitched up the beagle and headed to Costco. They open for old farts at 8AM giving us a head start on the young-ins...

The had lots of TP but i didn't need TP so off the the coffee isle. Lots of coffee beans, but no ground.. and you can't use their grinder due to the virus..... So no problem i'll go over to the kitchen appliance isle and buy a coffee grinder, ( mine ended up in the lab, and i don't want it back...) NO Grinders... Coffee Beans but no ground. I feel like i am in the twilight zone...

But then i remembered that some fine person stated that Keurig pod makers came with a basket so one does not need to feel guilty about the pods. So I bought a Keurig and a hundred pods.... Ok i can survive the apocalypse....

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"Coffee is not a matter of life and death.... It is more important than that." - Georgie Beagle
What a harrowing experience! I feel your pain and anxiety.

Fortunately my wife keeps us well stocked and I get four pounds of beans delivered every three months from Zabars.

I usually limit my coffee drinking to mornings only, but with kids gone from school and me doing remote teaching, I'm home much earlier than usual, and in addition, with a very cold and rainy week, I've been making a large mug as soon as I get home, and often one more (usually decaf) after dinner! Fortunately I've got enough to last for a few weeks, and I don't usually do beans, so I'm good to go.

On another note, our local stores are still struggling to keep TP on shelves. I haven't seen it in weeks. Mom-in-law went to Costco just yesterday and there was none to be had.

What a harrowing experience! I feel your pain and anxiety.

Fortunately my wife keeps us well stocked and I get four pounds of beans delivered every three months from Zabars.
At a cup a day, it takes me so long to go through beans, that I use to buy them 1/2 pound at a time.
The one time that I bought a 2 pound bag at Costco, it took me almost 4 months to use it up.
Although, in the current situation, I may have to do that again, for my next bag.

We've talked a lot about coffee machine, but the grinder is equally important, if not more. For drip coffee, I would recommend Comandante Nitro Blade C40 Mk3. It's an excellent grinder and I carry it on all my trips as it is very portable.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
You all have no idea how much I'm loving this thread!! :)

Update 4/10/20:

Sooo...after reading every single line in this thread and after much thought about what I wanted and needed at this time, I chose and purchased:

The Clever Coffee Dripper
IMG_0555.jpg

(Thank you, John - JW53!)

There were a few reasons for my choice:

1. This device is truly coffee making for dummies

Now folks, I do pride myself on having a reasonable level of intelligence, however, I really and truly needed something super easy to use. I'm up by 4:30 in the mornings, and as addled as I am at that time :confused:, I know I wouldn't have been able to handle a device that was more advanced. The clever dripper makes everything simple. Put in the filter and rinse with hot water. Put in the grounds, cover to steep, offload the results in your coffee mug and off you go. Clean up is almost non-existent. Empty the filter and rinse out the dripper - that's it. The dripper came with what you see - the device itself with a cover and a base, and a packet of filters. I paid $21.00, and had free shipping. UPS delivered to the door in three days. For that price and for my first foray into making my own coffee, the price couldn't be beat.

2. I only drink one cup of coffee a day

The clever dripper only makes one cup (think a medium size McDonald's cup) of coffee, which is all I need. I don't drink multiple cups, so this is perfect for me.

3. Ease of Transport

I can take this thing along with me anywhere I go as long as I have access to hot water. My plan is that as my knowledge of coffee (and coffee making) increases, I will eventually purchase a more advanced system for home use and then take the clever dripper to work and leave it there.

For coffee, I chose this:

IMG_0556.jpg

I was going to try the Dancing Goats coffee that had been recommended, but the only place I knew that had it was at Whole Foods, which was 20 miles away. Since I wasn't driving that far, I got in line with the rest of the folk that "fit the criteria" for entering the supermarkets an hour early (gosh, I can't believe I'm in that category now...), and purchased Peets, which was another recommendation. And all I have to say is "ohhhh my!" This was nice and smooth, rich and mellow all at the same time. I had no problems drinking it black and man - it made a really nice cup of coffee. I am going to try other brands, of course, but for my first go at it, this was really good and by the way - my house smells amazing!!

So, there you have it- my first venture into the world of coffee making! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom