Coffee - BW or Color?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Ping279, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Took these today, all natural light with some fill using one white card and a mirror. Which do you prefer?

101631037.gif

View attachment 239273

2. Color for me.... The cup seems more defined. I think if you stopped down some more and got more of the beans in focus, the BW might work better... No idea, I often experiment with these kinds of things and never really know how something might turn out...

3. Definitely, the color. I suspect that if you use the shadow/highlights tool in photoshop (if you have it), that would serve to bring out the definition of the bottom of the cup. Maybe, it would also bring out some detail in the beans, but that's not as necessary.

I use the shadow/highlight tool quite a bit. Sometimes, particularly with water shots (bay, pond, ocean, etc.) it will totally blow out the image, so it cannot be used. But, it may work well here. Just a suggestion. Nice image, btw.

4. I tried out the shadow/highlights adjustment. It changed the look of the image quite a bit. I'm not sure if I like it better or not but here is what I came out with :

101648331.gif