Coffee grinders

My espresso setup, Rancilio hot rodded Sylvia (added PID for accurate temp and extraction control) and Rancilio Rocky burr grinder. Been going strong for quite a number of years. Ali’s little bit of latte art. Never did get real good at it.
View attachment 1676249View attachment 1676250
I discovered that the small home machines with a single small boiler does not generate enough steam, to steam the milk enough to do much in the way of latte art. At least I have not figured out how to do it with mine. So I can do an espresso or capachino, but not latte.

Sylvia with the PID generates more than enough steam, get really good foam but normally much thicker than what you would use for latte art. Almost have to spoon it out of the frothing pitcher

I used to get a half pound of "Big Bang" from Peets.
A half pound lasts me three weeks, so I don't get the larger bags. I only drink one, sometimes two, cups a day.​
Then I switched to Startbucks decaf Pike's Place, to go decaf.
Peets did not have a medium roast decaf.​
Now I'm back to Peets Big Bang, and cafeine.

The grinder in my machine is not as good as the stand alone grinders, as there is a pocket of ground beans between the grinding burrs and the drop shoot. That ground coffee, sits until I grind more, the next day. But my taste is not refined enough that I can taste the difference of the day-old ground beans, especially with the milk in a capuchino.

The espresso machine is my "toy."

Sylvia with the PID generates more than enough steam, get really good foam but normally much thicker than what you would use for latte art. Almost have to spoon it out of the frothing pitcher
I can get foam, but not that latex paint like foamed milk to do the art.
Either that or I need one of the baristas to teach me HOW to do it on my machine.

I def can get that latex, I would almost describe it, as shiny but not quite as thick as a meringue when wipping egg whites. For stretching milk I'll usually use 2% unless I want it quite a bit thicker. Keep your frothing pitcher in the fridge, I find that it helps in getting that micro foam. As for coffee I either roast my own getting beans normally from Sweet Marias. Or I have a local place where the roast every couple of days, and really do a bang up job. Lb of coffee usually last about 5 days at the house. Used to get black cat from Intelligentsia out of Chicago, but they really started to limit their offerings and it got very expensive. Now locally I use Cool Beans in Marietta their DaVinci is a really good blend for pulling espresso shots.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom