1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Coffee

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by nu2scene, Jul 8, 2008.

1. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Have been reading lately about roasting coffee at home. So I decided to give it a try. I don't think I've ever seen unroasted coffee beans before. They kinda look like green peanuts.

Here's a shot of the unroasted beans.

2650143345_4308bbfda9_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And then the roasted beans.

2650143649_0755899eb9_o.jpg

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I'm always suprised by the look of unroasted beans. As you say they look way more like peanuts than coffee.

Nice images nonetheless, thanks for showing these.

3. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Thanks Robert.

4. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice shots. The roasted coffee looks wonderful. So how was it?

5. Cool beans Rob (sorry for the dreadful pun!). How was it???

6. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Haven't had a chance to taste the coffee yet. You're supposed to let the coffee rest for a day or so. Apparently the flavors develop over that time, and also CO2 is released as well. So I'll wait till breakfast and give it a whirl. I've never had this 'fresh' a cup of coffee before. So I'm looking forward to it.

7. Okay, that is just too cool!! I have never seen raw coffee beans. I hope your cupa is terrific!!

8. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Mmmmmmmmm!

9. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Actually I roasted the beans in a hot air popcorn popper. I watched a few vids on youtube and decided to try it.

I also read this little article. It sounded easy, and the start up cost is what convinced me...lol.
    http://coffeegeek.com/guides/popperroasting

10. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice! I just got this roaster a couple of weeks ago, it's a Hottop that we will be carrying...so...naturally I had to take one home! :wink:

2630579433_78027244a4_b.png

The hot-air popcorn/coffee roaster brings back memories, and it does a great job!

The Gene Cafe that Greg mentioned is also a really nice roaster.

11. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Wow, that roaster looks nice. It's cool how you can see the beans as they roast.

Well I tried the coffee this morning. My first attempt was in a french press. I have to preface and say that I only have a cheap whirrly blade type grinder. So the grinds are not too uniform. At first the grinds were too big. So I went further and I think I made the grinds too fine. The coffee turned out too 'full bodied'. I think a lot of the grinds stayed suspended in the water.

I then tried again, with a more coarse grind. It helped, but overall not great.

So then I tried it again using a pour over method. So far that has had the best results. But overall, it really hasn't blown my socks off. It tastes.....like coffee. But not much different than if you buy the coffee at the super market.

I guess I'll have to keep playing with the roasting, and resting times and stuff. It's cool to play around with at any event.

12. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Keep at it! You're on the right track and after another day of or two of resting you'll find it will be better...less "grassy". It's fun and once you really find your groove with it you'll be rewarded! Excellent shots of both roasted and green coffee btw!!!

This is what I play with at the "office".
    2442132744_07c42f492e_b.png

View attachment 215359

View attachment 215361

13. very cool shots

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.