Coffee

Have been reading lately about roasting coffee at home. So I decided to give it a try. I don't think I've ever seen unroasted coffee beans before. They kinda look like green peanuts.

Here's a shot of the unroasted beans.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And then the roasted beans.

I'm always suprised by the look of unroasted beans. As you say they look way more like peanuts than coffee.

Nice images nonetheless, thanks for showing these.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haven't had a chance to taste the coffee yet. You're supposed to let the coffee rest for a day or so. Apparently the flavors develop over that time, and also CO2 is released as well. So I'll wait till breakfast and give it a whirl. I've never had this 'fresh' a cup of coffee before. So I'm looking forward to it.

Nice! I just got this roaster a couple of weeks ago, it's a Hottop that we will be carrying...so...naturally I had to take one home! :wink:

The hot-air popcorn/coffee roaster brings back memories, and it does a great job!

The Gene Cafe that Greg mentioned is also a really nice roaster.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, that roaster looks nice. It's cool how you can see the beans as they roast.

Well I tried the coffee this morning. My first attempt was in a french press. I have to preface and say that I only have a cheap whirrly blade type grinder. So the grinds are not too uniform. At first the grinds were too big. So I went further and I think I made the grinds too fine. The coffee turned out too 'full bodied'. I think a lot of the grinds stayed suspended in the water.

I then tried again, with a more coarse grind. It helped, but overall not great.

So then I tried it again using a pour over method. So far that has had the best results. But overall, it really hasn't blown my socks off. It tastes.....like coffee. But not much different than if you buy the coffee at the super market.

I guess I'll have to keep playing with the roasting, and resting times and stuff. It's cool to play around with at any event.

Keep at it! You're on the right track and after another day of or two of resting you'll find it will be better...less "grassy". It's fun and once you really find your groove with it you'll be rewarded! Excellent shots of both roasted and green coffee btw!!!

This is what I play with at the "office".

View attachment 215359

View attachment 215361

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom