1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

cokin type diy

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by threecats, Aug 9, 2008.

1. anyone got a pic showing a cokin type filter taped on? I'd like to get a split soft nd and be able to adjust the filter at will. I know I need maybe 4x4 and have read that the cokins have a color cast. For the amount I would use this I think I'd rather just tape or hold it in place rather than buy/screw with more stuff.

2. I just get the 4x6 size filters and hand hold them. I use either Lee or Singh Ray.

Nancy

3. Thanks Nancy, I'll probably end up trying that. Now how to lug em...

4. I've taken to hand-holding too, even though I have a couple of the Cokin adapters. I use Hi-tech filters.

5. The Lee and Singh Ray's came in a very nice leather custom pouch.

nancy

6. Nick and Nancy,

I have never used a split ND filter. I have been reading up on these and I contacted Nick's recommended filter source. I am convinced that a 4 ^ is the only way to go. Now can you two help me, please:

1) Does it matter whether one buys a resin or glass filter, split ND only?
    2) Do you recommend soft interface or hard interface?
    3) For strictly outdoor, natural light shooting, mainly scenics, which two filter ranges would you recommend as starters?
    4) Is there a good commercially available filter holder on the market for use on Nikon's better quality lenses or are these simply too cumbersome on a small camera in the field? "YES," I will only use these on a tripod mounted camera.

Thanks you two and any one else who cares to help educate me. Please have a great wekend.

Best regards,
    Tom

7. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I've had issues with getting a reflection on the camera side of the filter when I hand hold them..

8. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Tom, the resin coated filters will scratch more easily than the glass though they are less expensive. Another trade off with the low cost filters is that they aren't always true to their rated filtering capability. Cokins are know to be a little off and to have a slgith cast to them, whereas the more expenssive filters are dead on.

A good starter kit would have a 2 stop soft and a 3 stop hard gradation. Add more as/if needed.

The Cokin P system is cheap and works fine with Hi-Tech, Lee and other rectangular filters. The Cokin Z-Pro holer is made a little nicer, but frankly it doesn't work any better than the cheaper P series.

As I had posted...I have seen more than a few instances of getting a reflection of the lens on the back of the filter when hand holding..the holder is cheap insurance.

9. You have to make sure the filter is completely flat up against the lens. And, yes that means no hood.

Nancy

10. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, hood off, but I don't want drag the filter against the front of the lens mount and scratch it..

11. Well, I do not drag it. I move it where I want and only lay it flat against lens when I am ready to shoot. I have never scatched one yet, doing it that way.

Nancy

12. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Hand holding would be ok if you are only using one filter. However, if you want to use more than one filter at a time, good luck. I rarely use less than two filters at a time. The small ring attachment that the filter holder attaches to can be a pain sometimes, but to me, well worth the results, and yes, sometimes I’m too lazy to deal with it.

People complain of a color cast with Cokin filters. When I first bought my filter system, I did a test once between a Singh-Ray filter and my Cokin filter. Hardly noticeable, and can be processed to what ever color cast you want with todays software. I’ve never used the Singh-Ray filter since, since I prefer the smaller Cokin filters, and should probably sell it. They aren’t cheap.

I put together a little gallery showing my filters on and off the camera, and the test shots. None of the test shots were processed at all. Just resized for the web. Hope this helps some. Everyone has their own methods. What works for you is what you should do after you have gathered feedback from others on the forum.

13. Michael and Nancy,

Many thanks and much gratitude for your experience-based suggestions. I will follow-up as you suggest. I need to look at the two holder models you mentioned as I have never played with these. I have a whole lot of experience years ago with gel filter holders, but not the Cokin variety. By the wat, I was and am aware of the color variation of the filters, but I really did not consider the density variation. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, for certain.

Do either of you know of any good quality instructional reading material on the considerations of and the using of variable ND filters?

Thanks again.
    Tom

14. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    You could check out this article at the Nikonians site.

15. Gonna check the sites as well. I can see the pros and cons of handholding them however sometimes I get to the point where if I have too much screwing around to set up I may not even bother. Good feedback everyone. Thanks
    glenn

ok after viewing Gary's pics I see it's really no more fooling around than screwing in a round. Leave holder attached to adapter, and slide in filter.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  16. Gary,

Good idea and many thanks.

Best regards,
    Tom

17. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    threecats and Tom... Glad my gallery of my Cokin filter system and the test shots helped out. I did a ton of research before I bought the system, and put that together right after I bought it in hopes that it might help people out. Finding the kind of info I present in the gallery was just not possible when I was doing my researching on the filter system. I didn’t find that article at the Nikonians till after I bought my system, and put my photos together. I tend to put just as much effort researching something that costs around $100 as I would for something that costs $3,000.

18. Gary,

Thank you. I also agree with your approach. A hundred dollar item of poor quality or misunterstanding can readily ruin a million dollar system!

Regards,
    Tom

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.