1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

cold weather shooting help

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by socrdude, Nov 10, 2018 at 10:28 AM.

1. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    some buddies and I are heading up to Yellow Knife to shoot the Aurora in March.
    the temps will be very cold.
    any tips on camera Usage, fogging, gear in and out of vehicle (Fogging up, icing) Batteries etc.
    Seems the temps can easily be below -0-

any tips are very much welcome.

2. Make sure your batteries are fully charged they will deplete quickly in cold weather. I always keep a spare or two in a warm inside pocket on my clothing. Dress in layers, bamboo clothing eg socks will draw moisture away from your body better than cotton. Don't change lens outdoors! When coming inside into a warmed area from outside in subzero temps you will get condensation - give the gear time to rest and I found it helpful to encase my camera and lens in a large ziplock bag before bringing into the house. I have been outdoors often
    shooting photos -20- 30 centigrade. Be aware of the effects of windchill on your body especially on exposed areas -so check local forecast. I wear mini gloves inside of warmer gloves so when I want to take a photo the outer pair come off while I'm shooting. Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    great advise.. thanks...

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    In February we went to Iceland. I worried that I'd freeze! LOL!

Wear layers, including a waterproof external layer. A coat with a hood seals off the neck area. NO cotton. And remember that when sitting in a vehicle for a while, going in to eat, etc....you could get uncomfortably warm if you can't peel a layer or so.

I found Vallarret, a Norwegian company that makes photo gloves specifically for cold weather. I bought hubby and I each a pair. Loved them. The fold back thumb and finger feature is great. One can wear a liner inside if necessary.

Put your camera gear in a plastic bag before returning it to a warmer environment to prevent condensation/moisture in the gear. Keep spare batteries inside your coat so they can stay warm near your body. Don't exhale onto the back of the camera (I wasn't very good at that one!) to prevent fog/ice on prism/LCD. Wrap tripod legs. I've been very happy with LensCoat products.

If it is extremely cold use hand and foot warmers. I put them in my pockets. The HotHands brands seemed to have the best/longest ratings by users.

HAVE FUN!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.