Collage of macros

My very feeble attempt at a collage of insects photographed in my neighbor's garden. If this doesn't belong here I apologize up front.
I printed out a 13 x 19 for them and they seemed enthusiastic about receiving it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jerry Snider

Jerry, I like what you've done here, but I wonder how this would look if the pictures weren't all the same size. There is so much happening here it's hard to know where to start looking first. Just my 2 cents worth.

Virginia
aka beaucamera

Gosh, I did say "feeble attempt" :wink:, although I COMPLETELY agree with you. However, my neighbors wanted as many pics of insects from this summer on the page as I could get, so this is the result.
Admittedly, I have never done this type of thing prior, and some of the margins I didn't "soften", etc. Indeed, LOTS of things wrong with this (I admit to not having an artistic bone in my body!), but having never seen one done with micro/macro pics thought some folks might get some better ideas from it--and as you have kindly done, provide me with woefully needed insight.
Thanks a bunch for the tip.
The effect they wanted was for someone to look at the photo and think/say "Wow! You sure have a lot of bugs in your garden."
J. Snider

I like the idea but how about letting the images merge together without the seperating grid? that way you could drop them randomly as they fit between each other.

BTW, I'd like to see the top right one full size.

Greg said:
I like the idea but how about letting the images merge together without the seperating grid? that way you could drop them randomly as they fit between each other.

BTW, I'd like to see the top right one full size.
You mean this one?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like your idea. May give it a try. There was not much thought going into the collage. Frankly, didn't think that I could pull all of the pics together. This HAS gotten me thinking about such preparations though, thus the reason for the post.
Thanks,
J. Snider

This would look better as a 13x19 for sure. As it is posted it is very busy without a lot of detail. I too think that less would be more in this type of presentation. I feel that having different sizes and placement on the background would enhance this a lot. I have a daughter that is a master at laying out a collage and I have learned much from her. By the way, you photography is excellent.

I agree with Virginia and Gordon. The idea is fantastic, but various sizes would enhance the imagery and provide more visual rhythm. Looks like you had a very productive summer. By the way, the images are wonderful!

Gordon, Crystall and all,
Serious thanks for the feedback. Obviously, not much thought was given to the preparation of the treatment and I readily admit it. All of your ideas have merit and this winter will attempt get a tad more serious re the concept. Really do appreciate all of your thoughts and comments.
J. Snider

CrystallP said:
I agree with Virginia and Gordon. The idea is fantastic, but various sizes would enhance the imagery and provide more visual rhythm. Looks like you had a very productive summer. By the way, the images are wonderful!
Crystall,
Thanks for the input. Busy summer? Not really (I'm retired :D ). These photos (for better or worse) likely represent ca. 2-3% of the "keepers" taken from my neighbor's flower garden the past couple of months.
Again, thanks for the ideas.
J. Snider

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom