1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Collateral Damage From Dragon Hunts

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Spectre, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    When I go out looking for dragons, there is invariably something else that catches my attention. The images below are a few of the "other" things that have, at the time, warranted the attention of my lens.... Any opinions are always appreciated.

1. Bumble Bee

[​IMG]

2. American Bullfrog

[​IMG]

3. Turkey Vulture

[​IMG]

4. Oregon Swallowtail Butterfly

[​IMG]

5. Oregon Swallowtail Butterfly

[​IMG]

6. Deer

[​IMG]

7. Damselfly

[​IMG]

8. Big Fat Fly

[​IMG]

2. Hey Paul,

Loved the potpourri shots here... I particularly loved the frog shot. For some reason I have a soft spot for frogs and love shots of them. We have a spot around here (15 minute drive or so) where apparently some species of frog goes crazy for a few days... and then the babies hatch... I have to get on the notification for that!

Anyway, good work and glad to see you are mended up from your fall! When I read your subject I was quite concerned for your health!!!

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Rich,
    Thanks for the concern. At this point I am healing.... going to the Chiropracter tomorrow. All in all I suppose it could have been a lot worse.
    I thought I would put together some of the shots that I usually don't post.... I have a ton of them.

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent shots Paul. I particularly like the frog shot too. I just like those guys. Sometimes they can be very loud when searching for females.

5. Paul, I like your bullfrog also. I hear the bullfrogs singing around my property. I do get a kick out of some of your names. Your Oregon Swallowtail (who I hope has seen better days) is called a Tiger Swallowtail in Ohio. Have heard people call it a Canadian Tiger Swallowtail also. Your Western Pondhawks are Eastern Pondhawks here. I wonder if there is any difference?

Nice bunch of shots.

6. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Birgit,
    The Tiger Swallowtail is in the same family as the Oregon Swallowtail however is a seperate species. The Oregon Swallowtail is actually our State Insect... See This Link Although this is a link to a Washington Page.... it is a native Oregon Species.

The Eastern and Western Pondhawks are actually different as well... See This Link.
    You will see the abdomen on the Eastern Pondhawk is longer and narrower than its Western counterpart and the coloration is a bit different. The Female Eastern has a lot more black on the abdomen.

7. Nice shots, Paul

BTW, your damsel is a Pacific forktail.

Cheers,

Larry

8. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks for the ID Larry. I really haven't found anything definitive online to help me identify the damsels. I have been lax in getting a field guide, so I appreciate the help.

BTW: Larry, my PN-11 arrived today but I won't get a chance to try it out for a few days.

9. Paul, thank you.
    I do see quite a difference in the two Pondhawks. Interesting.

I cannot see a difference in the swallowtails. It must be very slight, perhaps in color vibrance and variation in spots. Took this shot in my garden and it looks so similar to the Oregon and Canadian Swallowtail:

511139442_cd2a82846e_b.

10. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Birgit,
    You're right, the differences in the swallowtails are slight, but I'm sure they can tell each other apart!:biggrin:

You see... I wasn't making this stuff up!:biggrin:

11. Nice Paul. Hey as far as a guide I know you recommended one to me but a trip to Borders the other night produced a Stokes beginners guide to dragonflys/damselflys. It may be beginner in that it does not have tons of info I really don't care about but as far as color plates and descriptions to ID I can't imagine anything much better.
    I have not counted but am guessing about 125 dflys all in a $10.00 4"x7" paperback.

The good news is that a book like this will probably be on the shelf at any live bookstore.

glenn

12. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    I will have to check the local Borders... Thanks Glen!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.