Collective Shoot # 103: Spring Forward/ Fall Back

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by djh63, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I have the honour of hosting Collective Shoot # 103- our theme for this week is Spring Forward/Fall Back. I am looking for you all to use your cameras to express what is happening in your part of the world as the seasons change- in the North we are obviously going into the cooler part of the year whereas our friends in the Southern Hemisphere are seeing longer days and getting ready to go swimming. As a misplaced Australian, I am hoping to see plenty of contributions from the Southern Hemisphere!

Time Frame- Starting Friday (September 26) morning at sun-up in your location and running until Tuesday (September 30) evening at sun-down. Please try to post photos shot during this time frame rather than hunting back through your files.
    General Guidelines
    - post as often as you like, but please limit each post to 6 photographs
    - please post "medium-sized" pictures (link to a larger version if you like)
    - please share exif data and any other secrets so that we can all learn!
    - most importantly....... Have Fun!

good luck and happy shooting,

David

2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Who needs a calendar?

For me, the advent of spring is reliably signaled by the crocuses in our front yard. Likewise, these fall crocuses always bloom within a few days of the autumnal equinox. [full EXIF embedded]

[​IMG]

3. That is beautiful, Bob. Makes a nice change to have colour like that in the garden at this time of year!

4. Here are a couple that I grabbed on the way home this evening...... the days are getting much shorter here!

original.gif

Shot with 50/1.4 1/250 @ f2 ISO 400

View attachment 257179

Shot with 50/1.4 1/180 @ f1.4 ISO 400

5. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Fall has many colors . . . at our house.

All images captured as RAW with D300, with ISO at 200. Balance of details below each shot. Each shot rendered in ACR in PS CS3 as 16-bit ProPhoto, then converted to sRGB, then converted to 8-bit, cropped and/or resized for web, then saved as JPEGs - all EXIF data intact. When I use for prints, etc. I re open the RAW using settings from first time, then convert to AdobeRGB, do any color work needed, then save working PSD file; then flatten and convert to 8-bit, sharpen as needed for outpt, and save as LZW TIFF.

Note: I don't sharpen after the downsize for the web, since that just creates more detail that creates a larger JPEG file. I capture sharpen as a part of the initial RAW render, so the web shots are sharp enough for their purpose.

Fall-blooming Clemantis:
    DSC_4585_fall-blooming-Clematis.jpg
    50mm f/1.8, shot at f/4, 1/100th

Black-eyed Susans, a little worse for the wear:
    DSC_4574_black-eyedsusans.jpg
    50mm f/1.8, shot at f/2.8, 1/60th

Acorns are getting good:
    DSC_4562-acorninthefall.jpg
    50mm f/1.8, shot at f/2.8, 1/50th

Acorns bring acorn eaters:
    DSC_4594-sqirrel.jpg
    Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3, shot at 440mm, f/8, 1/160th

With an eye on our yard:
    DSC_4599_eye-on-the-yard.jpg
    Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3, shot at 440mm, f/8, 1/200th

The crab apples are turning:
    DSC_4553_crabapples.jpg
    50mm f/1.8 with Kenko 12mm extension tube, shot at f/2.8, 1/60th

And, the sunflowers have been pretty well picked clean:
    DSC_4582-sunflower.jpg
    50mm f/1.8, shot at f/1.8, 1/4000th

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  6. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    Nice "portrait"... looks like you posed this guy:) I can hear you saying "Now tilt your head to the left... a little more, a little more... that's it. Now say ACORN"

7. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Thanks - actually, it was resting on a 4x4 post, which is why it seems so relaxed. I was surprised how close it let me get.

8. Fall-blooming Clemantis:

Black-eyed Susans, a little worse for the wear:

Acorns are getting good:

Acorns bring acorn eaters:

With an eye on our yard:

The crab apples are turning:

And, the sunflowers have been pretty well picked clean:

Hi Wileec (sorry, but I don't know your name),

these are a great bunch of photos- thanks for posting them here. I particularly like the squirrel keeping an eye on your yard!

9. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Autumn colors

It’s a bit early for much color around here, but I took a walk this morning so I could be sure to not miss anything. Some of the vines in the woods are showing some color and the sassafras is starting to change. The most brilliant color today was from this “burning bush”, one of several that the birds planted along the lane. (Several species of Euonymus are commonly given this name.) Its color has not yet fully developed, but it’s nice anyway.
    [full EXIF embedded]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Wow - great shots! That squirrel shot could probably make a money in stock photo right???

11. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Thanks - not sure about the stock thing, but it was cool to discover the view of our yard reflected in the squirrel's eye. I sure didn't see that when I was composing the shot.

12. Just a few leaves are starting to show some color in my area

original.jpg
    [D300, 35/1.4, f/2, 1/50]

original.jpg
    [D300, 200/4 Micro 1.3s, f/16, 1.3s]

Full EXIF embedded in both images.

13. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Now those leaves are really showing their color!

14. Great shots, Bob. It must be spectacular in your area when the colours really develop. Thanks for sharing.

15. Thanks for posting Dave. They are both great, but I particularly like the colour in the first one.

16. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Interesting how close-up shots often conjure up mental images of unrelated subjects. Dave, I can almost pick out your house in that second satellite image.:biggrin:

17. Well, if this subject was about 2 weeks later down the road, it would be easy! TX just doesn't have anything "to fall back on" right now. So, the only place I could think of was my favorite grocery store. I snapped these a few minutes ago. Sorry I couldn't do any better than this....

In TX, Fall is a time when you see these show up......
    2899306399_2e68089262.png

Then is time for these to be planted.......
    View attachment 257198

Of course it wouldn't be Fall if we didn't have these!
    View attachment 257199

18. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Well I havent been able to get out to the mountains which are ablaze in my area this weekend liked I hoped so I had to really look around the high desert valley Im living in. Here are 2 worthy of sharing from this evening I think. Im going back to a certain spot to grab a few more tomorrow and not sure if they will end up here or the "light" challenge.

Some dead leaves gathering around the curb, a sure sign fall is on its way or already here..

leaves.jpg

Another sure sign, Halloween decorations. I personally think they are jumping the gun a bit myself, but you can call me Clark Griswald around Christmas...
    WB was a pain as the sigma 30/1.4 tends to render warmer colors.

hallow.gif