Colonial style hotel

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Harry S., Mar 29, 2005.

1. Actually, I didn't want to post pics from my Burma trips before finishing all the galleries at pbase (although I have done so at DPR already). But I thought I share some pics of one of my favorite places: The Candacraig hotel in Pyin Oo Lwin (Maymyo) which is 100 years old and a representative display of colonial style.
    There was a waiter (Josef, some 70 years old) who made his apprentice at the infamous Strand Hotel in Rangoon. I loved this kind man and wanted to present him with a photo of him and me, made in '99. On my last visit I learned that he had died 2 years ago. My reaction on this news came completely unexpected and stunned all people standing nearby. I wept openly and because of that even my wife, my mother and the reception lady had tears in their eyes.

Anyway, here are the pics, all shot with the 12-24DX.

Outside view

original.

The interior is completely made from teak wood

original.

original.

It is really a place to feel like in a time warp.
    The veranda pics saw the inside of my digital darkroom a bit more extensively to create this flash-back look often seen in movies.

original.

original.

Well, this rather turned to an essay now. I hope you enjoy the pics. I will notify you as soon as the entire Burma gallery can be viewed publicly.

2. A Grand Old Lady

What a charming and colorful establishment this is! I love the deep, rich woods on the interior and the bifurcated staircase that the 12-24 captures so well. As I head out on Real Estate Broker's tour this morning, I will be hard pressed to find anything as interesting locally here in Silicon Valley. Thank you for sharing your story and pictures of this grand old lady!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Harry,

Great pics of a beautiful place. Us newbies at the Cafe are very lucky to have experienced photogs such as you to serve as role models, and to show us what can be achieved with a camera.

Thanks for taking the time to post these. ;-)

Frank

4. Very nice place. :) :) :) :) Great pics!! Thanks!! :D :D :D :D

5. I enjoyed these pictures Harry. What an interesting place your have shared with us. Thanks, it is well photographed.

6. Thanks all. There are so many nice places in the world worth being captured - one's life span allows to see only a small fraction of them all.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Frank, you really embarassed me. Maybe I'm an experienced entomologist and jungle crack, but I don't think that way in photography. While I might have more technical understanding and a better eye than the average holiday shooter, I sometimes feel very small when I look at the pics of many of the photogs in the various fora (NCafe included) or read the advanced tech stuff provided by Bjorn, Ron, Iljah etc...
    Anywy, there's still time to climb the steep ladder :)

7. Thanks Roman!
    Unfortunately, this hotel belongs to the Ministry of Hotel and Tourism, and, if it can be avoided, I don't want to support or have any dealings with a (Military) government organization. An exception is the Forest Ministery (Nature and Wildlife Conservation Division) with which I have to cooperate to carry out my research and training program there.
    Cheers

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Harry

These are great pictures altough I wouldn't leave Vienna the most beautiful town of Europe :D :D :D :D

I thought that you weren't invited over here,don't you mis your hamlock over here? :D :D :D :D

10. Hallo Hans!

The most beautiful town in Europe? Thanks, but when you have lived here for many years you are so used to the sight that you don't see the beauty any longer. :lol:
    But I think it's a discrimination of the other beautiful cities in Europe.

There are no hemlocks and spruces in Burma but at least pines, and I am a rainforest addict.

Cheers