1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

color blind :)

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by bill-e, Aug 7, 2009.

1. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Well, not really but I do have a difficult time getting photos to look natural.

Nothing special here, was just playing with available light and tried iso 1600 at 1.4 with my Sigma 30mm.

So I opened up CS3 and did Auto Levels, Auto Color and Smart Sharpen but the whole White Balance thing has me stumped. When I start with a Raw file and click "auto" I dont think I can get it even close to looking right. Starting with jpg using the D90's defaults I think I come closer. I'm even thinking of getting a ColorRight just so I have a starting point.

Any help will be appreciated.

30mm_14_1600_tess4.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That was after, this is the jpg right out of the D90....resize only.

So would something like the ColorRight be useful for me?

DSC_0345.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. i AM red-green color blind, i feel your pain

4. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    First ditch Auto WB. Use sun or cloudy or flash for whatever condition you are in. Any camera will give a good WB if you set it for proper condition.

Put a reference grey card in the first photo of a series. Balance that so RGB all read 128 with the eye dropper tool. All the rest will be right on.

JPEG looses too much info if you need to WB later. RAW is 1000% better

open two images in PS one of which was previously balanced out correctly so you need not operate from memory to get the new one to balance out. Top row, window- display- tile and you can see both at once.

Cyan-red are opposites Magenta green are opposites blue yellow are opposites.
    So if a new photo looks green, add magenta. If it looks yellow, add blue or subtract yellow.

Beautiful pic of a red head girl. She is a doll. Color is dead on. I just wish I could get a consumer lab to print that well.

5. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks, she's my 5 yr old granddaughter.

I had balanced the color on my laptop with Eye One but it still looked a bit red to me. Looking on my main monitor it does look good.

ColorRight is a 15 second white balance you use at your shoots. It's $65 and gets very good reviews. Their claim is that there is no need to post process. I'm undecided as to its purchase.

6. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yes, I shoot RAW+Normal. My issue with RAW is the same as JPG, My eye for natural color...or my monitors, is off. I have the Eye One LT to calibrate my monitors but when I shoot raw typically the "as shot" looks the best to me.

Looking back at the RAW and JPG versions of this pic, they are very, very close. I think the angle that I was looking at my laptop screen both made the pic appear darker and more red than it actually is.

This is the first live subject shot I've taken with my new D90, perhaps it does a better job of Auto WB than the D40 did.

7. it does, the D90 only lack in under 3500K form my experience

8. The jpeg out of the camera looks pretty darn good to me.

9. Well first of all she is a darling little girl. It would be hard for any of us to judge the color of her skin sight unseen. Personally I like the auto adjust in this instance. Most red heads have a fairly light complexion and the auto adjust image comes closest to that in my opinion. I also like the vibrant colors of the shirt and the hair as well in the auto adjust version. There are several ways to obtain accurate color in your images such as Expo Disc, WhiBal card, etc. I use the WhiBal card but still find that I might like some light tweaking in PP just to make it look like I want it to. When it gets right down to it, it is personal preference. Of course a calibrated monitor is a must.

10. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    [​IMG]

The above is one idea... First, color is one of the more difficult things IMO in photography to evaluate and get right. The problem is again IMO nothing works every time. That the auto tools you used didn't work (again IMO) for this photo doesn't mean that they won't work for another.

What I did is this: I used the eyedropper ("White Balance Selector") in Lightroom (There are similar tools in most raw converters) and picked what I think should be an intermediate gray tone. In this case I picked a spot in the gray strip that runs by her right ear at a point about 1/2 way between her hair and the top of the image. It decreased cyan and decreased magenta a very small amount, but I think it improved the color a great deal. Notice that the light colored wall behind the cyan is toned down greatly.

Anyway, this particular trick is to look for a gray tone in your image and use it to set the overall white balance. It works sometimes. Also in this image there are many things that could serve as the gray tone point. Trying different ones until you find the "right" one also is something that I try. Some people place gray cards and the like in the scene beforehand to do just this thing.

Anyway, very nice photo... cute kid.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

11. Yamo, that looks really good. Is that as easy to do in CS2?

12. brooksro

brooksro

Dec 29, 2007
    USA, California
    I see nothing wrong with the color right out of the camera. Looks natural to me.

13. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I think the white balance tool in the Adobe Camera Raw part of Photoshop does about the same thing (if not identical, to what was shown previously form Lightroom)... at least in CS3. I don't know how the ACR part works between the new releases of ACR and CS2...

Cheers,

-Yamo-

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.