Color control points returning to Capture NX-D

NR says they found that on p. 53 of the Nikon Z brochure. Seems like that's worth an announcement, not something to be buried in an obscure page in a brochure.

Capture NX-D Version 1.5.0 is now available and does contain the Color Control Points feature. I downloaded, installed, and tried it and it works. The control looks exactly the same as the version that was in Capture NX2. There is also an updated Reference Manual that details how to use the new Color Control Points.

I'm very confused about the business aspect of this new development. I and many others assumed Nikon lost the right to include the control points in their software when Nik sold their Nik Collection to Google. We thought that explained why Nikon discontinued Capture NX2 soon after Nik sold their Collection to Google. However, relatively soon after DXO bought the Google/Nik Collection from Google, Nikon now has returned the control points to their own software. Moreover, the control points have the same look that was in Nikon's Capture NX2 and Dudley reports that they also have the same feel.

I'm thinking of the following possibilities:
  • A contractual arrangement made long ago with Nik and/or Google made it possible for Nikon to reintroduce the control points into their own software once a particular period of time had passed following the date that Google bought the Nik Collection. Coincidentally, that period of time ended not long after DXO bought the Google/Nik Collection from Google.
  • Once DXO owned the control point technology, they licensed it to Nikon. (Extremely doubtful in my opinion)
  • The patents relating to the control point technology have expired. Capture NX (the first version) was released in 2006 and though I think the selection control points were included, the color control points weren't added until Capture NX2 was released in 2008. I don't know anything about how long technology patents last or when the pertinent patents were granted.
Your thoughts?

Last edited:
These color control points seem to be much more limited and work differently from those in DxO PhotoLab. The CC points in NX-D 1.5.0 operate only on a selected color, and only allow for adjusting Brightness, Contrast, and Saturation.

With DxO PhotoLab, the manual says:

DxO PhotoLab’s Control points tool works in a very specific way. When you click in the image to create a control point, the tool analyzes the luminosity, contrast, and color of the pixels at that point and then applies the correction to all pixels with the same characteristics within an area you define.

Once you place a Control Point in PhotoLab, you can adjust 15 different parameters within the selection. So DxO PL is much more sophisticated, but it doesn't have deep knowledge of the characteristics of the Nikon sensors like NX-D.

I'm going to try the new NX-D as time permits over the next several days.

The CC points in NX-D 1.5.0 operate only on a selected color, and only allow for adjusting Brightness, Contrast, and Saturation.

The manual noted in my earlier post explains the seven adjustments that can be made. You have to click the bottom thingy on the control point to display all seven adjustments. They're the same adjustments that can be made using Capture NX2. That's not as many as the 15 adjustments available in PhotoLab but it's more than just the first three adjustments that appear by default in NX-D. Capture NX2 also used the same three default adjustments and the user had to expand the list to display all seven.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I'm very confused about the business aspect of this new development. I and many others assumed Nikon lost the right to include the control points in their software when Nik sold their Nik Collection to Google. We thought that explained why Nikon discontinued Capture NX2 soon after Nik sold their Collection to Google. However, relatively soon after DXO bought the Google/Nik Collection from Google, Nikon now has returned the control points to their own software. Moreover, the control points have the same look that was in Nikon's Capture NX2 and Dudley reports that they also have the same feel.

I'm thinking of the following possibilities:
  • A contractual arrangement made long ago with Nik and/or Google made it possible for Nikon to reintroduce the control points into their own software once a particular period of time had passed following the date that Google bought the Nik Collection. Coincidentally, that period of time ended not long after DXO bought the Google/Nik Collection from Google.
  • Once DXO owned the control point technology, they licensed it to Nikon. (Extremely doubtful in my opinion)
  • The patents relating to the control point technology have expired. Capture NX (the first version) was released in 2006 and though I think the selection control points were included, the color control points weren't added until Capture NX2 was released in 2008. I don't know anything about how long technology patents last or when the pertinent patents were granted.
Your thoughts?
I'll go with option 4. When they made the new software someone decided not to bother putting in the control point feature.

Is NX-D 1.5.0 Mike's famous NX3?

Whatever the circumstances of this development I look upon it as an improvement.

Is it enough to draw users away from Lightbox etc? In my case I don't think so. I have been using ACR and Smart Objects in PSCC since the demise of NX2 and will continue to do so. But it is possible that NX-D could replace ACR for some images. However, the problem would be that whereas double clicking on the smart layer created in an ACR conversion returns you to the ACR module, the same operation would not return you to NX-D. There ARE ways around it but the convenience of ACR / Smart Objects / PS CC is undeniable and will probably influence my future workflow.

The Control Points, at first glance, are the same as Vivesa but not as "smooth".

As predicted, the Creative Picture Control of the Z 6/7 is included.

So, a little bit more to play with and while the Creative Picture Control is a little gimmicky it contains a couple of nice conversions.

DG

Edit; The control points in NX-D do not include the "Shadow" and "Structure" parameters.

Last edited:
I'll go with option 4. When they made the new software someone decided not to bother putting in the control point feature.

I actually considered that option and immediately dismissed the idea thinking that no reasoning by Nikon that would be so stupid and so illogical could possibly explain why they would wait a ridiculously long four years to make their control points available. Silly me.

Last edited:
Is NX-D 1.5.0 Mike's famous NX3?

Nope. It's more like Capture NX2 as far as I can tell albeit after only briefly reading about it; Capture NX3 would have capabilities above and beyond those of Capture NX2 so much so that customers would be willing to pay the upgrade price.

The evolution of Nikon's photo editing software reminds me of the evolution of my photo cataloging software. After having released five versions of their product, each of which added important capabilities not previously available, they decided to start over with a new version. The new version was marketed under different branding called Photo Supreme and, despite that it was sold at an upgrade price, had fewer capabilities. It wasn't until the third version of Photo Supreme was released that it finally had overall compelling improvements over the version before the branding changed. That was when I upgraded after having skipped the two versions in between.

the convenience of ACR / Smart Objects / PS CC is undeniable and will probably influence my future workflow.

Change that slightly to the following and you've got my thinking: the convenience of ACR / Smart Objects / PS CC / Nik Silver Efex Pro is undeniable and will definitely influence my future workflow.

Change that slightly to the following and you've got my thinking: the convenience of ACR / Smart Objects / PS CC / Nik Silver Efex Pro is undeniable and will definitely influence my future workflow.

Agreed, but why single out SEFX?

I use the Tonal Contrast in CEFX and the Output Sharpening just as much as SEFX.

The whole package is very powerful and if and when it is improved significantly I will purchase it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom