Color from D300

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by panda81, Jul 3, 2008.

1. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Does anyone else feel like the color from D300 photos feels a touched unsaturated? I switched over from the D80 not too long ago, and I've been mostly satisfied with the Normal color setting on the D80 - perhaps bumped up the saturation a little bit here and there. But with the Normal D300 color setting, I feel like I always have to push up the saturation around +15-20 in Photoshop. I tried using the Vivid setting, but that was a bit too saturated for me.

I downloaded the D2XMODE settings, but only tried D2XMode3 and felt the same way about that. Does anyone else feel the same way, and did you find a way to change it?

Thanks!

2. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    Similar feeling

Hi Jerry,

I'm not sure why, but I still prefer the color of my D50 over the D300. I don't think it's a matter of saturation alone, it's probably a combination of sensor color rendition, picture control gammas and curves, hues, maybe even the WB and different metering might influence the final result.

I've said this before, I do think the D300 is a fantastic camera, but in terms of colors my personal taste gives the advantage to he D50...

My recommendation is to shoot RAW and play around with the picture control settings and see what works for you.

Good luck!

3. Adrien

Adrien

Jun 7, 2006
    The 661
    I did dig the skin tones of my D50, but I absolutely love the Vivid colors of my D300 for sports.

[​IMG]

Adrien

4. Shooting RAW and using Lightroom at default settings is giving almost perfect skin tones. If you want more saturation adjust Picture Control settings and shoot jpeg or NEF and use Capture NX.

5. Shooting RAW, will allow you all the adjustments after in PP, but for jpg I found that D2XMODE1 with the settings, Sharpness 5, Contrast -1, Brightness -1, Saturation 0 & Hue 0 work really well..

6. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I usually do shoot in RAW, but my comments were derived from comparing images SOOC from the D80 and D300...I preferred the D80 SOOC images because the colors were more saturated, at least in my experience.

I still PP all of them, but when I increase saturation by +20 in 95% of my photos, I started to wonder if this is something others noticed as well...hence my question here :smile:

7. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Define "SOOC". I know you mean "straight out of the camera", but what do you mean? I presume you mean JPEGs, since RAW does not come SOOC -- it has to be converted or you are just looking at red, blue and green pixels. Have you checked to make sure both cameras are set to the same color space (sRGB or Adobe RGB)?

8. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    RAW converted by Capture NX, D300 color space is sRGB.

Just converted to Adobe RGB right now - what do most people prefer?

9. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

well i think in general the image from all digital has come from garish to enhanced down to subdude natural ,even flat colors.with post processing color enhancement can be made to taste.

10. Jerry, you can modify some parameters of the Picture Control in camera, or after the fact in NX/NX2 if you use that for processing. I've had good success using the D2XMode1 Pic Control, sometimes increasing saturation and contrast by +1 each.

D2XMode3 is intended to be a bit "punchy", so you're correct in your feeling that it's a bit saturated. D2XMode1 I think is more geared for portraits - at least it works well for me for portraits. By bumping the saturation and contrast as described above, it works for general purpose shooting with a bit less punch than the D2XMode3 Pic Control. Just to simplify the process, I set up Shooting Menu Banks for portrait shooting, and general use, that change the Picture Control accordingly.

Just my opinion, but I think this is one of the really cool things about these cameras. Using Picture Controls, you're really in control of how the camera renders an image. In other words, if I don't like what it's doing, I can change it (up to a point, of course). It's one of the really great benefits of digital imaging, IMO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.