Color management question- monitor calibration and paper profiles

Ok, I need a new monitor calibration device, my old spyder2 is no longer supported and I am tired of cobbling software together.
I print a fair amount. I have always been satisfied with the paper company supplied profiles- they were close enough for me.
My two present considerations are the xrite i1 display studio, which only calibrates the monitor- $170- 35 rebate= $135. This is a colorimeter, which is supposed to be better for monitor calibration.
I1studio does monitor calibration, but also does paper profiles- and is a spectrometer. $489-75 rebate= $414.
An almost $300 difference, I can buy a lot of professionally made profiles for that. Or a decent bottle of single malt.
Has anyone used the paper profiles it produces? Are they significantly better than the manufacture supplied ones?
Any other devices I should be looking at?
Thanks
Gary

It has also been my experience that manufacturers supplied profiles have generally been very good from the major paper suppliers at least for Epson, Canon and HP printers using OEM inks. The acid test being the ability to get a very close print to screen match when soft proofing. In these cases it may be argued that a home produced profile may bring no added IQ or accuracy to the table.

On the other hand a home produced profile should be able to more accurately characterise your particular printer and produce a profile that reflects your printers specific peculiarities than the canned profiles supplied by the paper manufacturer. It is also very useful should you choose to use non OEM inks or papers that do not have profiles for your printer.

From what you have said about current satisfaction with manufacturers profiles then going for the i1 Display seems to be the sensible choice using the savings made for other pleasures such as wine and spirits ;)

TonyW, thanks for the thoughtful approach, I too am leaning that way. I print on a canon ipf8400, oem ink only with papers from the large manufacturers. Some epson legacy papers do not have a true profile available, but I have always found the equivalent canon profile is fine. I guess I am not that picky. Most of my work is black and white. When I do print in color I need colors to be realistic, skin tones need to look like skin tones. The sky has to be an appropriate sky blue. But otherwise I never worry about an EXACT match. Who cares? Landscape and wildlife images need to look real, but no one really knows or remembers the exact colors.
To Mike and Nick, it looks like some single malt or Cabernet can find its way home. Heck, it is cheaper than the ink we use!!
Thanks all
Gary

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have the older X-Rite ColorMunki Photo, which does both displays and printers. It was far more expensive than the ColorMunki Display, which only does displays. These two are roughly equivalent to the improved new models you are looking at.
I needed the printer calibration as I was printing on various papers and canvas which didn't have the profiles I needed.
Remember that a printer profile is specific to the combination of three things:
  1. The paper
  2. The model of printer
  3. The ink
But if you stick to a paper manufacturer, and a printer they support, and you use the official ink, and they provide the profile for that exact combination, then I don't see any need to buy the print calibration version. You could just buy the cheap Display only one.

I have been very happy with my device. X-Rite have provided free software updates, and it now uses their same i1studio software that I think you will be using.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I bought the Spyder Studio system once with paper profiling. I have never successfully profiled paper that looked any better than the paper manufacturer's profile for my Epson printers. I always set my white point to about 85 candles so that prints are accurate. Setting it higher makes prints look darker than the screen. I still use the Spyder X Elite tool, but only for monitor calibration.

Last edited:
You are echoing my thoughts.
I have a 13"canon printer I fill with aftermarket inks and use random papers. I use these as give aways and test prints only.
My main prints are all on name brand paper with oem inks. These go to galleries and homes, so they need to be stable and long lasting. Here I am happy with the provided paper profiles. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something big.
Thanks for saving me some money, I spend too much on this hobby already!
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom