Color management with multiple profile monitor in Photoshop CC

I have tried figuring these issues out by reading, with no success. If anyone here has some insight, I 'd be really appreciative. Right now, I'm going in circles!

Equipment - Nikon D810, NEC Multisync PA241 monitor
Software Photoshop CC using ACR

Example:
I shoot raw using Adobe RGB, and then load the image into ACR, using the working space Adobe RGB (8 or 16 bit, not sure if it matters.)
I can change my monitor to different picture modes (Argb,Srgb.High Bright, Full and SpectraView)
Should I use the Adobe RGB picture mode while I edit? Or use the calibrated picture mode SpectraView?
And if I use the SpectraView picture mode on the monitor, should I change the working space in Adobe to the custom profile created when I calibrate?

What about previewing for printing?
Should I switch to the calibrated SpectraView picture mode on the monitor? And then do I need to change the Adobe color profile to use the custom profile?
Should I use the icc file downloaded from the lab (BayPhoto, or others)?

I assume when I save the file, I should embed the ARgb (8 bit) icc profile as specified by the lab.

Lastly, I have noticed a significant difference when viewing images in Adobe Raw vs PS. The color in the raw image is very much more saturated. I think this is true no matter which monitor picture mode I use. I have verified that my Adobe working color space is the same, and that ACR has no changes in settings when the image is loaded. I have seen this difference when going from ACR to PS, and vice versa (via Smart Object, Filter Raw). Any ideas on this issue?

Thanks in advance-
Diane

Equipment - Nikon D810, NEC Multisync PA241 monitor
Software Photoshop CC using ACR

Example:
I shoot raw using Adobe RGB, and then load the image into ACR, using the working space Adobe RGB (8 or 16 bit, not sure if it matters.)
The camera setting Adobe RGB or sRGB have no influence on raw.
I can change my monitor to different picture modes (Argb,Srgb.High Bright, Full and SpectraView)
Not familiar with this monitor, however it is most likely that the mode you want to use when image editing is Spectraview as this will be he mode that can be hardware calibrated.
Should I use the Adobe RGB picture mode while I edit? Or use the calibrated picture mode SpectraView?
There is no point using anything other than the calibrated Spectraview for editing in a colour managed app. such as PS
And if I use the SpectraView picture mode on the monitor, should I change the working space in Adobe to the custom profile created when I calibrate?
No, your monitor profile is not an editing space. You can edit in either Adobe RGB or in the wider gamut ProPhoto

What about previewing for printing?
Should I switch to the calibrated SpectraView picture mode on the monitor? And then do I need to change the Adobe color profile to use the custom profile?
Should I use the icc file downloaded from the lab (BayPhoto, or others)?
Always use the Spectraview for editing and viewing and use soft proofing with the appropriate ICC paper profile

I assume when I save the file, I should embed the ARgb (8 bit) icc profile as specified by the lab.
You should follow the lab instructions to embed the supplied ICC profile and you should soft proof using the profile

Lastly, I have noticed a significant difference when viewing images in Adobe Raw vs PS. The color in the raw image is very much more saturated. I think this is true no matter which monitor picture mode I use. I have verified that my Adobe working color space is the same, and that ACR has no changes in settings when the image is loaded. I have seen this difference when going from ACR to PS, and vice versa (via Smart Object, Filter Raw). Any ideas on this issue?

Thanks in advance-
Diane
You should not be viewing your images using your monitor Adobe RGB setting in PS. PS uses the ICC profile your calibration efforts produced to describe your monitor condition and adjust images to reflect correct colour as closely as possible. Therefore you should not have moved away from Spectraview

The camera setting Adobe RGB or sRGB have no influence on raw.
Not familiar with this monitor, however it is most likely that the mode you want to use when image editing is Spectraview as this will be he mode that can be hardware calibrated.
There is no point using anything other than the calibrated Spectraview for editing in a colour managed app. such as PS
No, your monitor profile is not an editing space. You can edit in either Adobe RGB or in the wider gamut ProPhoto

Always use the Spectraview for editing and viewing and use soft proofing with the appropriate ICC paper profile

You should follow the lab instructions to embed the supplied ICC profile and you should soft proof using the profile

You should not be viewing your images using your monitor Adobe RGB setting in PS. PS uses the ICC profile your calibration efforts produced to describe your monitor condition and adjust images to reflect correct colour as closely as possible. Therefore you should not have moved away from Spectraview

Tony, Thanks very much for the comprehensive response. I will try this all out.

Another question is what difference will it make when I'm working on a jpg? Is everything the same except being sure to match the embedded color to the working space color?

Yes just make sure to use JPEG embedded which will probably be sRGB. Easiest if you set the PS preferences to give you warnings when mismatch occur.

Latest threads

Top Bottom