Color monitor calibration issues

I calibrated my Dell wide gamut monitor with the Dell X-Rite calibration software and saved the Adobe RGB color profile. I checked in the color management folder (Win 10) and the Dell X-Rite profile is set as my default profile. Things look good on the screen and in LR but I'm having color rendition issues with the Win 10 Photo Viewer and NX-D. See below for shots taken from my screen. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

The first shot (and second/sorry for the posting mistake) is from the photo viewer, and the third is with the image fully open in the NX-D viewer but with the thumbnail in the upper left hand corner showing the color rendition issues. As I said, any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 1535206
View attachment 1535207

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Stick to using Lightroom, or Photoshop. Don't use software that doesn't support color management.
Other software which will work includes FastStone Viewer - free and excellent for looking through photos quickly. You must turn on Color Management in it, it is an option in the settings (F12 then look at the CMS tab).

Remember not to post your Adobe RGB images on the web or email them to anyone. You should keep them just for viewing and printing yourself, unless you use a lab that confirms it supports them.

What some people do is have a second monitor calibrated for sRGB so they can use that to preview their photos as others will see them, and to make sure they have not made a mistake.

There is something quite wrong somewhere but is difficult to tell from a photographed screen - much better if you can get a screen capture using the in built Windows application Sniping tool.

At the moment I am not able to show a comparison image as Photobucket is down. But Windows Photo Viewer is AFAIK based on my testing colour managed but the application called Photo is not. On my system side by side comparison shows no difference between Photoshop and Windows Photo Viewer but in Photo the image is oversaturated, confirming colour management in the former and none in the latter.

Note that you cannot actually calibrate to any of the working/editing spaces such as sRGB, Adobe RGB. You can only calibrate to a known standard such as D65, D50, D70 etc. and a luminance value to get a screen to output match.

One thing that can throw everything off is if you try and use v4 icc profiles. This is an option with X-rite and may even be the default. If this is the case recalibrate using v2 it may solve the problem

EDIT: PB up no. Top 2 images PS and WPV match bottom image in Photos shows saturation increase
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tony - Thanks; I was hoping to get a response from you. Using the V2 profiles with the X-Rite software is what the X-Rite representative recommended. I did a trial run and the images in the Windows photo viewer looked very washed out in comparison with Lightroom so I was disappointed with that result. I also tried the V2 profile with the Dell X-Rite software and it didn't deliver a suitable profile, i.e., over-bright with low contrast. Finally, after spending a lot of time on this issue, I just deleted everything (profiles, software, video driver), reset the monitor, and reinstalled the Nvidia driver and software. The monitor looks pretty good with the default ICC profile and the brightness turned down to match the ambient light in the room. I may reinstall the software and play with it again later on but I'm more inclined to just edit a few files, run some test prints to see how they turn out, and devote my time to something else more rewarding. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Richard - I also appreciate your tips.

Just a quick comment about WPV.

Raw files will look washed out/desaturated even those not altered by LR/ACR editing - Windows does not seem to handle these well at least from what I have seen.

On the other hand a rendered image i.e. TIFF or JPEG should display correctly regardless of embedded colour editing space e.g. sRGB, Profoto etc. in LR/PS and in Windows Photo VIewer

If you are printing yourself the editing space is a non issue as you will use your printer paper profile to render the image for printer. If you send images out to a lab you will either get a paper profile from them (preferable) or they will ask for sRGB images

Should you still be getting less than optimum images let us know and we will try and help out

Tony - Again, thanks for the input. It's possible I was getting the images displayed in WPV and LR confused with the image shown in Win 10 personalization/background. The image on the screen displayed by Win 10 personalization/background is more vivid than the images I see displayed in WPV or LR with the default color profile in place.

Another issue might be the calibration settings I was using. I've been calibrating with the i1 display measuring the ambient light (80). When I calibrated with the V2 profile based on the feedback from X-Rite, I used 120 so that probably threw off what I expected to see in the WPV and LR viewers and made it look washed out because it was more brightly displayed. Jeez - this stuff is complicated. I've spent a lot of time playing with the software and profiles this week and have some honey-dos to attend to but when I get back to it I'll keep your comments in mind. I appreciate the offer of assistance and will post again if I run into problems.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom