Color noise reduction

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by CliffB, May 24, 2007.

1. I am just curious as to whether anyone else has tried this technique. I stumbled across it last night; but, you pp gurus were probably already familiar with this, or something similar.

I was working on a photo, where I had to open up a dark area. Not surprisingly, this resulted in some serious noise. In trying to use color noise reduction, the reduction of noise was minimal, but the loss of sharpness was considerable. In examining the area with the noise problem, I noticed that the color noise was mostly red and orange (the area in question was a medium grey). So, as an experiment, I reduced the red and yellow saturation. The color noise all but disappeared; and, there was not the slightest bit of softening. In fact, with the noise gone, the resulting image appeared to be a bit sharper.

Obviously, this technique will only be useful on certain images; but, these results were very interesting.