color space again.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by bmiller, Aug 8, 2007.

1. This has probably been flogged to death, but what color space should be used for general photography. I was using srgb III, saturation enhanced, but things looked a little too saturated. I've switched to mode III, saturated normal to see if it is more to my liking. Do photo labs use srgb or adobe. The more i read the more confused i get.

2. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

Depends what you're doing. Are you shooting jpg and then taking to Wal-Mart (or other photo printer)? In that case, I would tend to shoot in color mode Ia. It gives the most accurate colors on machines that most typical photo places use. They have auto-correction so if you get too far away from normal, it might really create some "interesting" photography.

If you're taking the photos to photoshop and tweaking and then printing and want to get a wider gamut colorspace to work in, set it to color mode II and tweak away, remembering to set the colorspace according to your output. For the web, generally sRGB since some browsers and OS'es aren't colorspace aware.

3. I've been shooting jpegs and find with the D200 they need very little post processing in photoshop,.We have been making prints at various outlets, trying to find the one with the best prints. They can all be a little different. That's what got me to thinking that the camera color space me need to be set differently than srgb III. I gather argb gives you more color range when processing, but if the photos are shot in argb II, do they need to be saved in a different format after processing in photoshop?
    Scott Kelby's cs2 book says to keep camera and photoshop in srgb if you are printing from a lab, and adobe rgb if you are using your own inkjet. I guess i'm keeping both in srgb.