color space posting test

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dmwphoto, Dec 19, 2005.

1. This image has a lot of color, although it is heavy in red. but the image is identical in every aspect except for
    #1 is adobe rgb 240dpi
    #2 is srgb 72dpi
    I am really testing whether it is worth the effort to convert the profile.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Second one wins Dave :>)))) first is dull

3. I agree Gale. Looks like I have been posting in the wrong color space for Oh say about 9 months ARGGGHHH!!!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lol Don't worry about it Dave. Your images have been great anywway.

5. I'm sure you know by now that there is no option. Web browsers display in sRGB - period. So you MUST convert adobeRGB images to sRGB for web posting (like I do also).

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Pretty evident now, isn't it Dave? :wink: The differences are much more subtle when the colors are muted colors. So, I imagine you're convinced now that you need to convert to sRGB profile when the intent is web posting for web display (or email for that matter).

7. Frits you are right, no option
    SteveS- thanks for your diligence, there is really no contest. I have just been doing it wrong for so long.....

8. Good test Dave.

I also learned this lesson the hard way about 4 months ago on the Digital Grin site.

9. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Image in sRGB:

[​IMG]

AdobeRGB image converted to Nikon WinMonitor profile (compare shadow detail):

[​IMG]

10. very interesting. I will have to look at this conversion. Where is it anyways?
    can it be done thru actions in image processor too?

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Second shot has indeed lightened the shadows a bit; I guess my question would be does this make it closer to the original, or is the shadow boost "artificial"?

I assume the principal is similar to that discussed here? http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.html

12. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dave, is it to me? :)

13. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Jeff, on my Mac shadows in WinMon profile look closer to AdobeRGB version, while sRGB is plugged. You can see that also comparing histograms.

14. I had to get in on the act. I found when playing around that if I saved in AdobeRGB but ticked the save with profile box (in Nikon Capture 4) and then opened in Microsoft picture and Fax Viewer the picture was much brighter and generaly better than if saved without an embeded profile. However when you open them in Internet explorer they are identical (as one would expect). However I don't see a big difference when converting to sRGB.(Mode I)

53854363. and View attachment 21199 and View attachment 21200

The images are in the order AdobeRGB, AdobeRGB with embeded profile and sRGB

15. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

16. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    If you've installed the MS Windows RAW viewer add-on, it installs a replacement for picture and fax viewer that is color-space aware.

17. Which is what I have done:cool:

18. Dave...The second one is the winner. Much brighter and more alive.