1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Color space question ?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by yahtzee, Jul 7, 2008.

1. I just wiped my HDD and started over with Win Xp (vista was rather painful). I reloaded CS3 and the driver for my monitor. I just took a pic of something and when i viewed it in windows explorer, it looked "correct". I then loaded it up in CS3 and it appeared a little darker. What am I missing here? I believe that the color space I use on my D300 is sRGB. On my display settings it is set to Dell 1905FP. When I open up CS3, it is set to sRGB.. guess I just need to set my monitor to sRGB?

2. Just FYI, I too went back to Xp from Vista. As to your problem, most shoot in Adobe RGB because it is a more robust color space. I process my pictures in that color space and then as a last step, convert my image to sRGB before sending to the printer or for posting on the web. My steps are View, NX, convert to Tiff, CS3 and then convert to JPEG.

3. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Is anyone using ProPhoto - suppose to be larger that Adobe RGB.

Vince Versace at Acme Educational, who wrote the new NX 2 DVDs and found on Jay's web site, advocates ProPhoto RGB.

4. It's unlikely that either Windows Explorer or Photoshop are displaying "accurate" colour.

The Dell profile that came with your monitor drivers might be "in the ballpark", but if you're serious about your photos, you can't rely on it. You need to properly calibrate/profile your monitor with a hardware device.

No, it's very unwise to set your monitor to sRGB.

5. There are certainly advantages to the larger gamut colour spaces, but also drawbacks.

Utilization of large-gamut colour spaces allows you to keep all the extremely bright colours that might not exist in sRGB. This is especially important for floral photos, etc.

But ultimately, you are limited by your destination. If your photos are bound for a website, you'll be converting to sRGB. Likewise, most photographic print labs expect sRGB. If you're printing to a large-gamut printer, use a large-gamut colour space.

An important note about ProPhoto RGB - make sure you work only with high-bit data. 8-bit is simply not enough to avoid banding in smooth gradients.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.