color space test

Discussion in 'Birds' started by dmwphoto, Dec 19, 2005.

1. I am constantly finding ways to improve. This one (color space) I have known about but refused to believe that Srgb was better (for web) than Adobe RGB.
    I am posting two similar images the first in Adobe RGB, then the second I processed in SRGB. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Srgb
    [​IMG]
    The first is using the "O" tag, But when I went to do that with the second one I realized that i had forgot to resize, so I used the "L" tag. May be too many variables for a careful critique. This eve when I am not trying to run a business I will try and do 2 of the same image, same exact size and re post.
    Dave

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Yes, Dave, not only post the same shots, but something with some real color in it. These have mostly shades of white and grey in them.

3. ok the heck with work...

Steve I hear ya, and will do that. Birds are what I enjoy the most and have not been able to get dazzling displays of what I feel are decent shots.
    here is the same shot both ways, resized the same and displayed with the "O" tag.
    Srgb 72dpi
    [​IMG]

adobe RGB 240 dpi
    [​IMG]

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Something with COLOR, dave! These shots don't have much color in them. You're going to see the difference in colorspaces when there a some real c o l o r s involved, not just various shades of white and grey.

5. As I replied, I WILL do that. this evening I will find some better examples.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    In all honesty, I can't tell any color differences in those 2 shots you posted.

7. I see differences in the beak, feet and the branch to the left. Srgb displaying better in my opinion. I will do as you suggest and post some with a variety fo colors and shades this evening. It is my understanding that shadow detail is one of the primary things that is lost by posting adobe rgb space and that is why I chose this image to start my test with.
    Thanks for your imput Steve

8. Dave
    I have come to beleive that Srgb makes a differnece when lookign at web based shots. One thing I can suggest is after you are doen your color correctionresize your photo convert to profile and framing choose save as option and just save your shot as a jpg from the save as command leve at 300 dpi and choose the jpeg slider that gives you a jpeg with a file size somwere between 300K and 400 K

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I process in ARGB all the time, NC and PSCS2. When saving for the web I "convert" to srgb.

Yeah ?????

Might change your color space in camera and software. Change in camera and take same image. Do that with the software also. I think only with same image and lighting etc are you going to see any difference.

But then that will be subjective also. We never process exactly the same twice. You could just do out of camera test I guess with no processing.

Hey if it prints well and looks good that is what is important. The internet at best is flacky.

Iliah, where are you :>)))))))

10. I follow the same procedure and feel that this results in the best image. Good shots by the way.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

I agree with Gale and Gordon. I shoot and do all of my processing in Adobe, and then just before saving as a .jpg, I convert to sRGB for display on the web. As a side note, I also do all of my processing in 16-bit mode and then convert to an 8-bit image at the same time that I do the color space conversion. (at the recommendation of some the experts here). It may not make a huge difference in the final results, but I believe in doing everything that I can to get the best possible images.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    oppppsss forgot I do change to 8 bit mode.
    I resize 800 longest edge .. Save as jpg , try to keep about 100-200k largest. Bi-cubic sharpen for downsizing. Although I have also heard not to use any.
    Wonder what is reallllly right. Or best.

I see Mike is saving quite a bit larger HUmmmmmm

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gale,

I typically use bicubic smoother. Seems to help with the aliasing that you get with some fine lines (like the thin feathers on a GBH neck, or whiskers on a cat). Occasionally, I use straight bicubic. Bicubic sharper seems a little over done to me.

I always save in the highest JPEG quality. I know that this makes for biggish files (300K-450K), but I like the visual results. :rolleyes: