Color space with D50

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by Edrod13, Jun 9, 2007.

1. I have started shooting raw because I like that latitude I have when PP. At this time I am using ACR with CS2, but have noticed that my pics are sometimes very flat. I just noticed that I am opening the RAW files in Adobe RGB(1998) but the D50 is set by default to sRGB. I opened a RAW file in sRGB and the colors were much better or at least what my jpegs look like. So, should I be opening them to match the color space of the D50? I have read that Adobe RGB is better for printing, so should I change the camera setting to Adobe RGB too? Just want to get the best looking print from my pics. Thanks

Eddie

2. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

RAW by definition has no assigned color space Eddie. And so, set whatever space you want in your converter. You're right in that 'most' inkjet printing exhibits better printed results if you're working and editing in aRGB. Many labs however ask for sRGB files, and sRGB is better for web use. Just ask your print lab what space they require if farming out your printing.

3. BigPixel thanks for your response. I don't post that often and when I do, most of the threads do not get to much attention. At this point its my editing process that concerns me. When i use aRGB my pics look really flat in ACR. When I choose sRGB they look more like an in camera JPEG. aRGB is better, but how can a post process them if the colors look flat? I use Costco for all my printing needs and they have a great service for what I do since I print for pleasure and not for money. Since my NEF files are RAW, I should be able to open them as many times as I want with different color spaces everytime as well correct?

4. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I don't know what ACR is doing Eddie. If you're viewing on a good monitor and if its properly calibrated, you should have a proper looking image to edit converted to either sRGB or aRGB. I'd forget trying to match the look of an in-camera jpeg. That's by default an sRGB image. You're shooting RAW and assigning a color space. And you're probably converting to 16 bit TIF, a larger more detailed file to begin with.

LCDs on cameras aren't really good for critical use. I'd trust my calibrated editing system after assiging a color space and opening up the file for editing.

And yes, if you save your converted NEF as a master file, you can resize it, change color space, etc. every time you access it. Just remember to resave any conversion as a new file.

5. I am working on a calibrated monitor, but in aRGB my end results look a bit flat. Since I have the NEF files, I open them in ACR and pick a color space. I make adjustments to the RAW file and then click on OPEN which sends the file over to CS2 so I skip the whole TIFF thing. I finally just clean up some noise and just sharpen, then save to JPG. In the end I have my Original RAW file, an .XMP which saves the ACR settings and a JPG. ( I used to have the TIFF step in there, then someone here recommended that since I am using ACR, I can just skip it.

Yesterday, I decided to try and use sRGB instead. I edited 33 pics that I took at a party, sent them to costco and they came out great. In the past I had been using aRGB and it just seemed that the picks needed a little more pop.

Maybe my ACR settings need more tweaking for an aRGB file? Funny thing is, that I have read about this very issue here on the cafe for days. I did various searches and read old threads, were members mentioned the same thing. They were getting better conversions with NC and others compared to ACR. I think because ACR ignores some of the in camera setttings.

Big pixel, thanks for sticking with me here and keeping me company. It is much appreciated. Thanks

6. Your monitor cannot display all the colours available in the aRGB gamut - monitors display only sRGB. Colour aware applications approximate aRGB colours by mapping to sRGB values. You will see the difference in printing to an aRGB aware printer.

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Eddie,

COSCO and many other service labs require, ask that files be supplied as sRGB. Has to do with the firmware of their printers. This is why your sRGB files are printing better there. But its different lab to lab and if printing your own images on an inkjet most if not all printer manufacturers recommend sending aRGB files to the printer.

I'd rethink your conversion to an 8 bit jpeg as a master print file. While jpegs are fine for most usage, converting a RAW file to 16 bit TIF allows for much finer gradation and sharpening in editing.

Anbother thing. I don't use ACR for conversion and therefore don't know what you're able to do with it, but generally I have found that RAW converters are best used for just a few things. You set the file size and type, color space, adjust WB and exposure if you didn't nail it in camera. Any other editing (levels, curves, sharpening) is best done in Photoshop after conversion.