Color spots (pixels) in my black?!

Hey all, I do a lot of astrophotography with my telescope old D90 and recently I have noticed 8-10 individual pixels in my otherwise black backgrounds. There are a few red, blue and green spots (or pixels I assume), any idea what's up?

Thanks
Dan

"hot pixels". They are stuck in the "on" position when the sensor is polled for current state. There are some programs that reportedly can "unstick" hot pixels on monitors, but I don't know of any for camera sensors.

There might be programs that can map around the hot pixels.

I've been getting hot pixels since I started shooting long exposures with welding glass as a 10+ stop filter. Can't avoid it.
I just live with it and clone them out when I see them.

I've been getting hot pixels since I started shooting long exposures with welding glass as a 10+ stop filter. Can't avoid it.
I just live with it and clone them out when I see them.
Yep.

Happened to me when I started taking long exposures with my D800 through a 10-stop filter, too, and boy did it freak me out. A half hour of Googling and I discovered that it's a characteristic of pretty much all digital sensors.

Long exposure noise reduction does help a good bit, although it's not always convenient if you're taking a multi-minute exposure. So, spot removal tool it is.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom