1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Colorado National Monument

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Butlerkid, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    We spent several nights in Fruita, Colorado in late September. This location allowed us to visit The Monument at sunrise, daytime and sunset. Light was so-so, but the landscape was spectacular!

I've never been a strong landscape photographer, so comments are appreciated!

Information: Colorado National Monument
    (locally referred to as The Monument) is a National Park Service unit near the city of Grand Junction, Colorado. Sheer-walled canyons cut deep into sandstone and granite–gneiss–schist rock formations. This is an area of desert land high on the Colorado Plateau, with pinion and juniper forests on the plateau.

Rim Rock Drive is a scenic road in Colorado National Monument. The 23-mile drive follows the upper rim of a series of canyons, extending from the vicinity of Fruita, Colorado in the west to near Grand Junction, Colorado in the east, connecting points only eight miles apart in a straight line. The entire road has been designated a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.

_8506247_9-X3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_8506167_69-X3.jpg

_8506173-X3.jpg

_8506192-X3.jpg

#5 Stunning rocks, even at mid-day! LOL!
    _8506220-X3.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    # 1 is pretty hard to beat.. very well done
    # 2 is pretty darn good as well... I like both of these!!

3. Wow Karen they all are good, but the lighting and composition in #s 1 and 2 are terrific.

4. Hi Karen - in #1 and #2, you've captured classic, beautiful shots of Monument Canyon and I must say that the light was "not bad"!:D  It's a popular place to hike, with terrific views from down below also. #3 is the "Kissing Couple" and #4 depicts the "Coke Ovens". The entire place is a gem, as you've discovered. The next time that you're out here in "my backyard", please let me know!

5. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thank you so much! Appreciate the comments!
    So nice of you to respond! Thanks!
    GEEZ! I try to meet up with NikonCafe members where ever we go! DANG! Would have loved to met you! We were just blindly checking out the area! We stayed just off of I70 on Hwy 340 at a nice RV park there. We didn't know what to expect, but enjoyed our stayed immensely. We were there during the Tour of the Moon biking event! We were going up and they were coming down! I was scared I'd have a bicyclist plastered to the front of my F350!

6. That first one just has everything right! Bravo.

7. Luis R. Lebron

Luis R. Lebron

Mar 23, 2017
    Well done. I really like #1 and #4.

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks, Nick!
    Thanks, Luis!

9. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Simply georgeous all of them and like others feel that #1 and #4 are marginally better although all are lovely, well done.

10. These are all perfectly exposed and processed. I agree with others that #1 #2, and #4 are very interesting compositions. Well done. I need to get to that place sometime.

11. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thank you so much!
    We enjoyed our visit there, although it did seem like quite a drive to get there (hubby suggested taking a different route than GPS recommended......causing us to spend 2 extra hours hauling the 5th wheel up and over high mountain ranges! :eek: )

12. Muscular enough from where I sit.

#1 is definitely a wall hanger for me ... and so is #4.

13. The 3rd and 4th shots really stand out to me. I never really appreciated shots like these until now, having returned from Washington State last Friday where I saw American mountains for the first time.

"I've never been a strong landscape photographer, so comments are appreciated!" You are now.

14. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    THANKS!
    Geez! THANKS! As you can relate, having shot manual, wide open with very fast SSs and auto ISO for a long time, I really had to think about setting up the camera differently for landscapes and architecture! LOL! I enjoyed learning how to utilize live view and the focus peaking for interiors also.

We will be there soon....

15. menbrial

menbrial

Apr 30, 2006
    colorado
    And i thought Colorado was flat !!! :ROFLMAO: :D  ( You should have stopped in Crested-Butte too)

16. Karen, these are all really good, but #2 is my favorite. Nice sky, good composition and great shadow detail. Well done!

17. My favorites are 1 and 4. The only suggestion i would make on those (and this is subjective) would be to crop a bit off the bottom. I think the way you have it leads my eyes too much on the foreground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lovely set Karen. My favs are #1 and #4. I agree with Allan about cropping those from the bottom just a bit.

19. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Oh but we did! We arrived in Gunnison early enough to take the Ohio dirt Road up and over Ohio Pass. We had dinner in Created Butte! And the colors were beautiful!
    _8506149-X2.jpg

_8506144-X2.jpg

Thanks so much for the suggestion I agree!
    Thanks, Binnur! I agree with you and Allan about taking a little off the bottom. I appreciate the input!

20. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Appreciate the comments, Mitchell!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.