Colorado Trip

A couple of weeks ago I wanted to take a road trip and Colorado seemed like the place to go see. I invited my brother and my youngest son, Isaiah, who is 16. It was a Thursday and I decided to leave Saturday morning. The trip ended up being a 7 day road trip with 5 days driving the back roads of Colorado. We also ventured on 3 mountain roads that were restricted to 4x4 vehicles.

My brother as MS and I had a stroke about 2 years ago. As neither one of us worked it was easy to take off pretty quickly. Isaiah didn't start school for a couple of weeks so he could leave on short notice as well.

I took 3 cameras with me. A Nikon d7100 for capturing most of the general shots, a Nikon F5 loaded with slide film dedicated to my railroad project, and a Bronica ETRS loaded with 120 film that would be used to capture images that I felt would make wall art.

As soon as we reached Garden of the Gods, I was surprised how crowded it was. It was on a Sunday and the weather was perfect. People were everywhere. When Isaiah and I stood in front of the car I took a few photos with the D7100 and then asked Isaiah if he wanted to take some photos. The look of excitement on his face was priceless. I pointed to some trails he should go explore and off he went with the camera and a 24-70mm f2.8 Sigma lens.

I then took a couple of shots with the Bronica and then hobbled back to my car. With my stroke I have very limited walking and after walking around about 40 feet and then back to the car. That's about my limit, esp when carrying a medium format camera.

After about 30 minutes Isaiah returned and was excited to show me his photos. He then informed me that he would take possession of the D7100 for the rest of the trip. Within the 30 minutes he had been bitten by the photo bug, which thrilled me as it seems like when he hit his teen years w didn't have too much in common anymore.

The rest of the trip turned into a teaching experience. I wanted to get him away from auto-mode and really show him what the camera could do. He was very anxious to learn and applied what I taught him during the trip.

We left St. Joseph, MO and headed straight across Kansas to reach Colorado. About 1/2 way across the flattest State we came across a wind turbine farm and stopped to get a few photos. These turbines are giant. We were able to get right up to them. They hub is about 260 feet high and the rotors are about 250 feet. All three of us were amazed by their size and sound. We sat there, just watching them spin with the wind.

Wind_Turbines-9.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Isaiah ended up taking around 750 images on the trip. I then edited them in LightRoom and choose the top 12 from the road trip. I'll be adding the photos to this post over the next days.

Garden of the Gods
DSC_0624.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Sounds like a great trip! Even more fun because of Isaiah's excitement for photography and the common bond being forged!

What a great trip! Colorado is a crowded place for a reason, but I know that it has a lot of roads less traveled as well.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
That's what it's all about - lasting memories of times with family. It sounds as though you had a wonderful time, and the fact that Isaiah has gotten the photo bug is icing on the cake. The photos are great; tell Isaiah "Congratulations!!" and that we hope to see more from him!

When you went through Kansas, I hope you stopped at Wamego...
Sounds like the same trip I made a year and a half ago. I am still here.

Sounds like a great trip! Even more fun because of Isaiah's excitement for photography and the common bond being forged!

He was not to thrilled about going. In fact, I was leaving Saturday morning and he stilled had not made up his mind. I figured he wasn't going to go. Then at 1:00 am Saturday morning he finally sent me a text saying he'd go. Aterwards he told me he was glad he went and I could tell he had a good time.

What a great trip! Colorado is a crowded place for a reason, but I know that it has a lot of roads less traveled as well.

Once we got away from the Interstate and stayed on the back highways it was much less crowded - just how I like to travel when on a photography trip.

That's what it's all about - lasting memories of times with family. It sounds as though you had a wonderful time, and the fact that Isaiah has gotten the photo bug is icing on the cake. The photos are great; tell Isaiah "Congratulations!!" and that we hope to see more from him!

It was a great trip - some good memories were created. I just bought him a D50 with an 18-70 lens,. That should hopefully keep him wanting more.

When you went through Kansas, I hope you stopped at Wamego...
Sounds like the same trip I made a year and a half ago. I am still here.

We did not stop in Wamego. What is there to see? I'm headed to the rock formations in Kansas next month. The sun had just set by the time we drove there and we had to pass.

After we had drove around Grden of the Gods, we drove to Idaho Springs, CO to spend the night. The nexy day we got off I70 and took Hwy 24 to Leadville. Everytime we turned aroun a curve we came across scenic views, one after the other. At one stop I went into parent mode and told Isaiah to not get to close to the edge!

Isaiah_Edge.jpg

One of the views he captured

DSC_0787.jpg

Bridge over Red Cliff, CO.

DSC_0839.jpg

We did not stop in Wamego. What is there to see? I'm headed to the rock formations in Kansas next month. The sun had just set by the time we drove there and we had to pass.

The Oz Museum is in Wamego. After all, you are the Wizard...
Pete

About 1/2 way across the flattest State we came across a wind turbine farm and stopped to get a few photos. These turbines are giant. We were able to get right up to them. They hub is about 260 feet high and the rotors are about 250 feet. All three of us were amazed by their size and sound. We sat there, just watching them spin with the wind.
Those wind turbines are mesmerizing, almost spooky to experience. Standing directly beneath the blades as they thrust right at you is weird.
Thanks for the heartwarming story! There is something about a road trip with Dad and an uncle that triggers a rich response in a young man's soul.

Ha! - Now I'll have to check it out. Have you been there? Much walking?

I stopped there on one of my cross country trips but did not have time go through it. I don't think there is much walking and we were able to park on the street in front. It was a long time collector and he chose Wamego for the museum site.
Pete

Another from the Garden of the Gods. Isaiah in the blue shirt lookin at me.
This set of three were taken with my Bronica ETRS 120 film camera using a 50mm lens.

GardenOfTheGods005-Edit.jpg

Independence Pass
IndependencePassLake_02.jpg

Garden of the Gods
GardenOfTheGods014-Edit.jpg

Between Grand Junction and Dinosaur, CO
Colorado001-Edit.jpg

South side of Dinosaur National Monument
Colorado002-Edit.jpg

Inside Dinosaur National Monument

Colorado015-Edit.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom