Colorful smoke

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Ping279, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Excellent work, Nathan. How did you get the smoke so dense?? source??? Very beautiful.

2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Some smoke art I like, some I don't -- these all fall in the first category. Nice work Nathan.

3. Amazing!!! Those are great!

4. Thanks, the smoke was from incense that i was burning. Since I was shooting in a studio, it was pretty much the only thing I was allowed to burn in there. Also, each incense stick lasts about 20 min :smile:

Thanks again!

5. sharkync

sharkync Guest

Nathan - Those are some of the better smoke shots I have seen. Great job with the post processing as well. Those are really nice.

6. Thanks for the info, Nathan. I think I read somewhere that cone incense is better than stick incense for this application. Your thoughts?

Any more you'd care to show us??? :smile:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I love smoke pics. Never two alike
    Nice work

8. Well to tell you the truth I've never used cone incense and Im not too familiar with how it burns... I would imagine it might be easier because it probably produces a larger smoke trail.

The only other smoke pitures i have from the other day are these two. I only kept about 7 pictures, it's quite hard to get that smoke in focus.

View attachment 100359

9. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks for the extras, Nathan. Your color management on these (originals and new ones) is very nice.

10. Beautiful images, Nathan, and great PP colour work.

11. OMG - these are stunning !

I have never saw anything like this, totally amazed.

Can I please ask how this is achieved ?

12. No problem. First the set up, stand the studio light behind and to the side of the incense and then a black backdrop directly behind incense. Should look something like this :

Then in photoshop, make a duplicate layer of the background/image. On that new layer, apply a gradient overlay of your choice and change the blending mode to color. This way, the image is still clear and only the color change shows. You dont have to use a gradient, you can use a solid color, or whatever you would like. I hope this helped :smile:

View attachment 100361

View attachment 100362

View attachment 100363

13. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I recently got a flash, and have got to try this. Or do you just use a regular light? I wasn't sure.

14. Thanks for the beautiful images, excellent explanation and inspiration! I think I'll pick up some incense next time I'm out and play around with this.... :smile:

15. Nathan I have bookmarked thsi thread, thanks sincerely for the very detailed explanation. Your a star.

16. QUITE EXTRAORDINARY. i have never sen this type of thing before.
    Thanks Bob F.

17. It was a flash, actually studio mono heads. I take all my studio shots in one of my school's 4 studios. They have anything and everything any photographer would need :smile:

18. Well thanks, it's quite addicting i must warn you though :wink:

19. mdsign

mdsign

Jun 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    Nr 3 and 4 and think 3 wins just. Very nice shape and great colors.

cheers, Mark