Colors are going crazy on me....

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by cleoent, Jul 9, 2008.

1. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Ok, i can't prove this to you guys, but i'll do my best to explain it. :smile:

This picture

download.php?id=1956.

Looks EXACTLY like that in photoshop cs3. BUT, when i view it in Vista's built in picture viewer, the hair on the left side of his face has an ugly green tone to it, same on his neck, in the darker areas.

I was convinced it would upload with the ugly green in it, but it didn't, it looks fine in my firefox browser.

Any ideas what is going on? I have a feeling it has something to do with color profiles, but dont know what that means.

2. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Any ideas? Anyone?

3. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Photoshop is color aware; but Vista (I presume) only recognizes sRGB. If the image is an Adobe RGB color space image; then the colors won't look right if the application you are looking at them uses sRGB color space.

4. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Hi Tony, according to cs3, i'm using srgb color space. :redface:

5. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    I really don't know the answer, but even on my calibrated laptop monitor (which runs Vista), all of the colors are off. So a picture that looks fine on my calibrated 23" Apple Cinema Display looks like crap on my calibrated Vista laptop. Go figure...

I think it's just one more reason to avoid Vista.

Sorry, I know I'm not much help.

Good luck getting it figured out.

6. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    David how does the above picture look to you? Do you see any weirdness?

7. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    It looks fine on my Apple Cinema display. But on my Vista laptop, the colors are more washed out, much colder (bluish tint).

I don't have a clue as to why, because both of my monitors are calibrated. But for some reason, I just don't seem to be able to get the colors (in any picture) to look right on the laptop.

8. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    hmmm.

If i set the picture as my wallpaper it looks identical to the version posted above.

The only time i see that weird green tint is viewing it in windows' picture viewer.

9. Compulsion

Compulsion

May 1, 2007
    Sterling, VA
    Does the color change exist even when viewing at 100% (1:1 pixel)?

10. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    i'll check when i get home Ron.

11. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    Is Vista's image viewer color managed?

12. vidiot

vidiot Guest

You are not crazy, you are correct. Once an image leaves your color-managed Photoshop program, all bets are off.

Some browsers color manage, some don't. Add to that your own color profiling software, which is trying to color manage, again, images that return to you via the web. I'm no expert, but I've been through this issue also, and found that there's no solution, just acceptance of the current state of browsers, software, systems, etc. etc. etc., and the way each (mis)handles color information.

My advice is to work in the Adobe RGB color space to retain the greatest color gamut for print output, and then convert to sRGB color space to post on the web. Trust the colors in Photoshop, and don't worry about how it looks after it leaves your control.

If it's any consolation, I've found that my images that come back to me via the web sometimes look horrible, but they look fine when viewed on someone else's system. I can't tell you why, but I've discovered that it's MY SYSTEM that corrupts the pristine colors I send out. (Most) Everyone else sees the colors I intended.

Frustrating, isn't it?

13. CS3 tells me it has not profile assigned to it. ? You sure its tagged Srgb ?

14. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Yes frustrating. But the good news is, that on the web, in print, and on my desktop as wallpaper the images look as they do in photoshop. ONLY when i view the picture in Windows Picture viewer do they look like crap. It's really weird.

15. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Great suggestions Tom, will give it a try immediately when i get home tonight!x

16. The image looks good in my calibrated monitor but I hope you are aware the image does not have an embedded color profile.
    I do not use Vista so I cannot help much there.
    Try converting to sRGB and see if you still have problems.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

17. scottb

scottb Guest

As others have noted, the document has no embedded RGB profile.

18. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    BTW - i did finally figure this out today.

My Dell monitors were set to their own color profile by default. One of the caveats of installing their drivers vs using them as plug and play monitors.

In vista i went to rt click on desktop > personalize > display settings > advanced settings > color Management > color management > check "use my settings for this device" > add > srgb > make default > close

wala! all good now!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.