Colorspace options

This is probably classified as a dumb question but here goes anyway.

I have a D200 and use Capture NX to conver RAW files to TIF or JPG. I go to TIF when I want to top quality prints from a local print guru using PS2 and high end Epson printers. I use JPG to post images on my online gallery and sometimes for cheap prints at Sam's.

The question: does it matter which colorspace (sRGB or aRGB) I use when I set my D200 color option on the menu? In other words, is RAW "colorspace independent", so that I can use NX to go either way as needed with no loss of quality?

Thanks,

B

BigPixel

That's correct, RAW files have no assigned color space until you assign one. Your camera might have a native sRGB space assigned but that's only applied when shooting jpegs. At least that's my understanding. Perhaps Iliah can come in here and fill out the details.

Generally you'd set sRGB in your converter for web images and some printing bureaus, aRGB for inkjet printing.

btw, very nice work on your web site.

for more accurate pictures, you should check to see if the Sam's club has their printer profile ICC online to which you can calibrate your photo before sending it in.

for more accurate pictures, you should check to see if the Sam's club has their printer profile ICC online to which you can calibrate your photo before sending it in.
To which you can *convert* your photo..., right?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom