Columbine

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, May 18, 2005.

1. Playing around with a flower from the garden, I used difused and reflected flash, what do you thing of the lighting I think the lighting on the stem is a bit strong, I didn't do much with composition since I was mostly playing with the lighting.

[​IMG]

It was a black background but I zeroed it out in ps and levels and wb in capture.

Martin

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Martin,

I do like the shot overall, but the stem definitely has a 'glow'. Probably wouldn't have bothered me though if you hadn't mentioned it. 8)

3. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Martin,
    I personally like the glow of the stem--compliments the green tips of the flower petals and sort of makes them "pop". Nice setup. Hope I get that good (in the far future)! The unopened flower bud is a nice touch also.
    Jerry Snider

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    You never cease to amaze me. I like how you put yourself out there to learn w/o fear. You have true talent. I agree w/Jerry...the glow of the stem makes the green tips of the petals pop! It really works for me....and as for the composition...It is nice...nothing "wrong" with it.

5. Thanks for the geat feedback and comments, commposition wise I find it looks like is looking at the edge of the frame, I think it would be better if it was looking into the frame then it wouldn't look like its to close to the edge, does that make sense for a flower?

I will try it again today, looks like it will be another inside day, rainning nicely out there.

Martin

6. Lovely photograph Martin.

7. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    very good as usual. Them...so, so . doesn't bother me.

8. HEY MARTIN,
    WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BUGS. LOOKS LIKE YOUR STARTING TO EXPAND INTO THE BEAUTY OF NATURE. GREAT SHOT. OH BTW I GOT A POTD WIN TODAY ON THE BEST FOTO. SEE YA LATER.
    PETE

9. Thanks Gordon and Greg.

Apreciate the comments.

Martin

10. Thanks, Pete. I took at best photo but I am not sure which pictue was yours, which one is it?

Martin

11. Martin;

Wonderful shot. Would you describe the lighting setup? Where the flash and reflector(s) were?

Thanks,
    Brian

12. IT'S UNDER THE NAME PETER PAUL (RODEO RIDER)

13. Hi Brian, sorry about taking so long.

I had an umbrella on the left with a Vivitar 283 shooting into it and my SB-800 on the right pointing forward and down into a reflector that was angled infront of the flower I still wasn't getting soft enough shadows so I placed the difuser from my 5 in 1 in front of the umbrella and it softened things nicely, also there was some foam core used for blocking off stray light that was causing shadows and for reflecting.

It was basicly try different things till I was satisfied with the lighting, I really should hook up the laptop so I can get instant full sized viewing of the pictures, it would be easier than loading the card into the computer to see I like whats happening the lighting the screen on the camera is just to small for me.

Martin

14. If you wouldn't have mentioned it I wouldn't have looked at the stem with a critical eye. It might be a bit to bright but it also might be the natural color. So, who cares.
    Anyway, the composition and exposure are perfect - a pleasure to look at. I am not sure if I would take so much effort with the lighting, but then - I am a lazy person sometimes :).

15. Thanks for the feedback Harry, I would imagine there is an easier way for the lighting but I just dont know it yet,

Martin