Come fly with me...

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by PJohnP, Jun 7, 2007.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Y'know, there was a time when getting away meant really getting away, and there was no e-mail, no Blackberries, and hell, even finding a telephone was more effort than anyone could muster. The airplane had a throaty roar, the stewardesses were models of efficiency (and beauty, too!), people drove right to the airfield, and walked to the airplane. A hanger was a place where a passenger embarked, and sometimes, even disembarked.

Those were very different times, and songs were written about them with lyrics that endure...

Come fly with me, let's float down to Peru
    In llama land there's a one-man band
    And he'll toot his flute for you
    Come fly with me, let's take off in the blue

[​IMG]

Ah, yes, let's fly away tonight...

Always shoot.

John P.

2. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    A time I wish I grew up in.....nice work here & a great presentation

A DC-3 I think, but the sqaure windows have me guessing.....is that a Studebaker or a Ford?

3. Nice image - and it is a DC3. Among my very favorite of all, I'm glad I got a chance to get rides when PBA was still operating them. When I was working in Venezuela I saw them go in and out of our airport constantly:

[​IMG]

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Randy :

Yup, a DC-3, and the car's a Ford.

Thanks for the kind words.

John P.

5. Cool shot, John!!! Those DC3's were workhorses! Love the sepia treatment.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Sandi :

Thanks.

I was kind of inspired by my time at the Lone Star Aviation Museum in Galveston (where the shot was taken), as well as the 1940 Air Terminal Museum display at Hobby Airport (see 1940 Air Terminal Museum for more). I was striving for the feeling we had in an era when air travel was glamorous, not just the cattle cars we have today. This was a TriTone with sepia using the FM B&W Workflow plug-in.

< walks off whistling Come Fly With Me >​

John P.

7. Very very nice shot!

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Alex :

Thanks.

Y'know, these kinds of moments in shooting are a large part of why I so enjoy photography. The image is there, just begging to be captured, needing only a bit of thought on exposures, angle, and view, so with little ado, it just lands on the CompactFlash card. Aside from fixing a dust bunny and "translating" into tri-tone B&W, this is pretty much an out-of-camera shot.

As they say, life is good. :wink:

John P.

9. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    John, Love the treatment here! Very well done and it reminds me of an older era and your original intent. Well done!

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shot and treatment

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jonathan and Gale :

Thanks for the kind words. When we have opportunities to shoot moments like this, it's a treat.

John P.