Comet Images

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
NEOWISE aka comet 2020 F3

has been barely a naked eye object low in the NE horizon before dawn. While skies have been clear, viewing conditions just a few degrees above the horizon is rife with problems. This morning it was low fog, excessive humidity, and of course the rising sun. Barely could see and image stars that low to horizon.

D3s, 500VR tripod, f4 Iso 800, 1 second, single frame. Not good enough conditions to bother with stacking or dark and bias frames.

In about a week it will transition to an evening comet, and be much higher in the sky and should still be a naked eye object. Fingers crossed. Pretty big crop, close to 75%

43E5F4D9-148E-4919-93A0-F9C5D149713F.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So being in NY in which direction will it be visible from? Really looking forward to capturing this.

NEOWISE is transitioning to evening now. Very low on the horizon below the Big Dipper so finding it is difficult with haze. Will be rising towards the dipper and away from twilight so if it stays bright for a few more days then should be good for photos.

Taken on July 10 at 4:20AM. Sky was getting very bright so detail in the comet was faint. Taken with Z6 on sky tracker with my 38 year old Nikkor-Q.C 135mm f2.8. Stack of 5 images . Heavy crop so pardon the noise.

Neowise stack 1 4.jpg

I've been thinking the tail might be circumpolar from my latitude ~46°N. No good place to look due north (toward Puget Sound) at 1AM, and I'm tired from 3 straight nights of stalking NEOWISE. Looks cloudy tomorrow 3AM, thank goodness 😵

Token cropped image w/D600 and Tamron 70-300vc, shows a pinch of motion sickness from TMTS =too much telephoto syndrome..

Attachments

First sighting of the evening comet. Imaged about 11:30 in MN. Peeked out under a cloud just above horizon.

Neowise on approach to Mount St Helens Volcano
Shot from WSU-Vancouver at 0308 am.

Did a bit of astro photography of Comet Neowise from downtown Vancouver.

Nikon D850 with 85 f1.8 stack of 5 images shot at 0.4sec f1.8 ISO 800

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"pffff... who needs dark skys. the view from my couch is just fine." - Georgie Beagle

Nicely done! What tracking are you using?
Using iOptron Skyguider Pro. Easy to set up and carries the weight fairly well.

IMG_0010_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Using iOptron Skyguider Pro. Easy to set up and carries the weight fairly well.

View attachment 1665653
I have looked at it, but my current weight with first gen 500VR plus D3s is over capacity. To handle the weight my cost for a mount goes up over a grand, not willing to do that just yet. I have borrowed a EQ rig before, how I got my shot of comet Lovejoy, and pairing of Lovejoy and Pleiades. thanks for the info.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom