Comet Images

I have looked at it, but my current weight with first gen 500VR plus D3s is over capacity. To handle the weight my cost for a mount goes up over a grand, not willing to do that just yet. I have borrowed a EQ rig before, how I got my shot of comet Lovejoy, and pairing of Lovejoy and Pleiades. thanks for the info.
I am close to the weight limit with this setup. By adding the ball head, I can point the lens anywhere in the sky and keep the counterweight pointed down so it is in really good balance for at least an hour or two.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am close to the weight limit with this setup. By adding the ball head, I can point the lens anywhere in the sky and keep the counterweight pointed down so it is in really good balance for at least an hour or two.
Good point on the ball head. I figured my f4 rig With the big body D3s is right at 15 lbs with a ball head.

Another image with better sky. Tail is incredible now. About 5 degrees long, maybe longer. 500mm f8 ISO1250 4x20sec stack.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Bill
Over the Ramshorn here in Dubois Wyoming.

Neowise from S Arizona
-Jay-

another comet view from downtown vancouver...

shot with the Nikon D850 and the 300pf lens. a stack of 1020 second exposures stacked.

Unfortunately, I dropped the D850 with the 300pf on it while I was mounting it on the tripod. The camera is ok but it is harder to mount lenses on it. the 300pf mounts easily but it is not as sharp as it was. Probably going for a trip to Nikon...

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"awww mom, that is my fav lens.... " - Georgie Beagle

Ugh! My single greatest fear when mounting a camera on a tripod. Either not connecting the plate properly to the mount or the whole thing tipping over. At least you got some excellent shots to stack. Hopefully the 300 comes back better than new!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
another comet view from downtown vancouver...

View attachment 1665775

shot with the Nikon D850 and the 300pf lens. a stack of 1020 second exposures stacked.

Unfortunately, I dropped the D850 with the 300pf on it while I was mounting it on the tripod. The camera is ok but it is harder to mount lenses on it. the 300pf mounts easily but it is not as sharp as it was. Probably going for a trip to Nikon...

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"awww mom, that is my fav lens.... " - Georgie Beagle
ouch, hope it gets fixed.

Not a great photo, but at least we got out to see it and try to get a photo. It's fairly high in the sky now. This was from the foothills outside our town. I had no idea what I was doing. It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I wanted to use a longer telephoto zoom lens until I realized I had nothing bright enough to focus on. My lenses for my Z6 don't have markings for the zoom ring so I had no infinity mark to start my focus from. How do you focus on the sky on a mirrorless camera on a lens with no markings to show focus distance?
_DSC1392.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
How do you focus on the sky on a mirrorless camera on a lens with no markings to show focus distance?
Use the highest ISO (51200 on your Z6) and a 1 second shutter speed. Magnify to 100% view and manually focus on the brightest object you can find in the sky until it is as small and bright as you can make it. Using caution not to bump the focus ring, recompose as desired. Take a test shot and review at 100% magnification. Maintain the high ISO (to save time) and repeat until you have nailed the focus. Then use a more normal exposure such as f2.8, 15 seconds, ISO 3200. Fine tune the exposure settings as needed to obtain the brightness, lack of star trailing, and noise levels that you find acceptable.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
Here's one from Ridgway, Colorado.

Use the highest ISO (51200 on your Z6) and a 1 second shutter speed. Magnify to 100% view and manually focus on the brightest object you can find in the sky until it is as small and bright as you can make it. Using caution not to bump the focus ring, recompose as desired. Take a test shot and review at 100% magnification. Maintain the high ISO (to save time) and repeat until you have nailed the focus. Then use a more normal exposure such as f2.8, 15 seconds, ISO 3200. Fine tune the exposure settings as needed to obtain the brightness, lack of star trailing, and noise levels that you find acceptable.
Thank you, Andy. I will try it for sure!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom