1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Comet Panstarrs to be near the moon on March 12-13, 2013

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve Zalewski, Mar 2, 2013.

1. March 2, 2013

Hello NikonCafe Members:

On March 12-13, 2013 Comet Panstarrs will be visible close to the moon. On the 12th, the comet will be to the visible to the upper left of the moon. On the 13th the comet will be visible to the lower right of the moon.

The comet is estimated to be 2nd magnitude, but because a comet takes up a larger area of the sky, and due to the contrast of the sky and comet, the comet may be a bit more difficult to see then a 2nd magnitude star which is a pin point of light.

The comet will be low in the western sky on the dates listed above after sunset.

For more information on Comet Panstarrs go to www.astronomy.com or to www.skyandtelescope.com If any member gets photos of the comet, please post them on the NikonCafe website. Good luck in viewing the comet.

Steve Zalewski
    NikonCafe member,
    Syracuse Camera Club member, and
    amateur astronomer
    Syracuse, NY

Nikon N80, F5, various Nikkor lenses and a Celestron C5+ astronomical telescope

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
  2. Joves

Joves

Feb 10, 2009
    Nowhereland
    Cool! Now if the weather will cooperate here.

3. InTheMist

InTheMist

Aug 18, 2012
    Switzerland
    Thanks for the tip! I hope the weather works out.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Steve! I am going to try to set up for two AST 101 classes, so the students can observe this comet. It might be difficult because we have a pretty bright sky at the school, but I will give it a shot.

5. March 3, 2013

To Chris:

According to some information that I saw at www.skyandtelescope.com the comet will appear a bit higher in the sky the further south the observer is. The information published by the astronomy magazines is for 40 degrees north latitude. You should make your adjustments based on the most current information for your area. You may want to consult the nearest science museum, observatory, or planetarium in your area for the most up to date information.

Steve Zalewski
    Syracuse, NY

6. IsamuM

IsamuM Not-quite- Moderator

Jan 11, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks for sharing this, Steve.

I'm going to be up in the mountains next week and hope the weather holds up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.