Comfortable options for carrying two dSLR Setups?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by barriosa, Jun 22, 2007.

1. What’s a comfortable and convenient way to carry two camera bodies around for a couple of hours? Photographers vest? Harness system or the Op/Tech “Reporter” strap?

Anyone have experience with any of them?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  2. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If I'm just carrying 2 cameras with lenses attached and need both ready to use, I'll carry one around my neck in front and the other across the body and let it hang under my right arm. I'll adjust the straps for length so the two don't bang together.

If I'm only planning on shooting with one body at a time, I'll use the TTP Speed Belt system. A camera with lens on a strap, the other body and lens in the holster, other lenses on the left in their carriers. The harness helps distribute the weight.

Anything more and the backpack comes out.

I never tried a photo vest. I went through several fishing vests before I found one I could live with and don't want to repeat the process anytime soon. Plus the weight and bulk of photo gear would make a vest awful heavy, and they do get pretty hot in the Summer, and the Spring, and the Fall.... :wink: The plus side is that you can carry a lot of gear in one. The minus side is that you can carry a lot of gear in one.... :smile:

Bill

3. Thanks Bill. Right now that seems like the most reasonable option. I might also go with one on a strap and one hanging from the D rings of a very small backpack. I like the idea of the Op/tech reporter strap but that might be too heavy.

4. I have a "Vested Interest" vest. I couldn't imagine a better made vest for carrying photo gear. I mean carrying bodies, lenses, etc...not just for looking like a photographer.
    But, I wear my Think Tank modular belt system alot more now that I have it. The belt system is ALOT more comfortable then a shoulder bag, vest, or backpack.

5. Sgt Soldier Blue,

Does the think thank hold as much as your vest? Which model vest did you have?

6. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    barriosa,

Judging from my fishing vest, I'd think you could pack everything including the kitchen sink in one....:rolleyes: But if it's like my vest, its heavy as lead and you have to hunt through two dozen pockets to find anything you might really need.

My TTP belt system has the Steroid Speed Belt, Pixel Racing Harness(to keep my pants where they belong :wink:), the DH-20 holster for the D200, usually with the 17-35 attached, an LC-35 for the 80-200, and an LC50 for the 28-70. All lenses fit with hoods reversed. The Gitzo goes over the shoulder.

The holster has a couple of pockets for an extra battery and a CF card or 2, the lens bags have mesh pockets outside for extra lens caps and other little stuff.

Filters go in a Tiffen wallet in my shirt pocket.

Anything else gets left in the car..... :biggrin:

Works for me, YMMV!

Bill

7. Well unfortunately the spare tire I often carry with me eliminates the option of the belt system. I thought the vested interest vests might be an option since they have those open sides but evidently that doesn't help much. I guess I need to find a way to attach some d-rings to my backpacks and hang a body from that. Any suggestions on where I can find those? I was going to stop by home depot on the way home but ended up pulling a 12 hour shift. Off to bed I go.

8. One around my neck and one on my shoulder with an Up-Strap.

9. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    I second upstrap!! simply the best for two bodies..especially for shoulder carrying

10. Don't think I've ever heard of an up-strap before. Are those clips compatible with the one's Tamrac uses?

11. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    "...the spare tire I often carry with me ..." :wink:

I got one of those, too. That's why I have the Harness!

Bill

12. Don't know about Tamrac clips, but they're not compatible with OpTech's.

13. Ron is that because they don't fit or is it because OpTech's have a female end on one side and a mail on the other to match the opposite on the camera? Tamrac's have female connectors on both side of the strap that match up with males on the camera.

14. Ahh what the heck I think I'll order an Up-Strap and see how it matches up with My tamrac gear. While I could give up my Tamrac boomerang strap I do like the fact that I can disconnect it and connect it straps on a backpack.

15. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    The quick disconnect connector on an Upstrap is much larger and considerably stronger than those on Optech or Tamrac straps. Both ends are male on the strap end and female on the camera attachment tails. Therefore, the ends do not connect together without the strap. Upstrap sells a short strap for this purpose.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2007
  16. Thanks for the info Gerry. I guess in the two SLR setup it doesn't matter if they use different brand straps. I just would like to continue to make use of my Tamrac hand strap and backpack straps. With their quick connectors its easy enough to go from using a neck strap to using a hand strap to hanging the SLR from straps on a backpack.

I see some experimentation in the future.

17. carlsson

carlsson

Jul 29, 2006
    Why don't you consider having your gear carried by a Beach Rolley?
    While not for crowded spaces it works fine with more than you can carry even in the woods.

Carlsson

18. Carlsson,
    Maybe someday especially after I get a nice stobist setup, but for now I was looking at my options for carrying two bodies with lenses attached.

19. OK I tried the up-strap and while it’s a nice shoulder strap it didn't really help my situation. Truth be told I rather not use shoulder straps at all but I need to try something. So since photo vests are too hot and neck straps are two confining I need to try one of those shoulder harness systems.

Any recommendations? I’d be carrying around two bodies one on a CB Jr.